Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Not sure I understand. If you remove the nock, how do you index them? I don't know what you're using for a jig but it doesn't work that way on a Bitz...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Still, nope. Only time you do anything with nocks is if they are cracked, bent, or busted, then you replace only those that are cracked, bent, or busted

·
Registered
677 Posts
I remove them when I am skinning old fletch off the shafts.

·
Premium Member
12,822 Posts
SteveinNJ, I am a rookie fletcher, did my first few a month or so ago, so I have questions & will read this with interest.
I wonder, are you concerned with glue drooling down into the nock area?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nocks stay on when they are in the jig(JoJan). If I'm having trouble getting old glue off I'll take the nocks out and dip the end of the shaft in acetone for a few seconds to get the glue off easier.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I use so little glue it's not running anywhere so that's not an issue.
With good glue less is always better,and tidier.
For fletching I use Gorilla Ultra Bonder that comes with a small brush, just a shine on the base of the vane or feather is enough with that stuff.

I sometimes remove nocks on carbons if I'm striping old fletch an glue off the shaft, but that's the only time I would touch em' once their in place.

When ever you use glue on any arrow always make sure all working surfaces your going to glue are very clean.

Plastic vanes can have a release agent on them, and carbon and Alloy arrows can as well.

I've always used White Spirits as a cleaner simply because I always seem to have some.
Be very careful with it though, because it burns quite well.

John.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I'd remove 'em if I was planning to crown dip or re-dip the shaft; otherwise, why bother?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts