Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am working with a bowyer at this moment to get a new longbow and I seem that red elm seems to be a pretty popular core material. Why is this? Is there an advantage over an action boo core? The bower has both available but he usually uses action boo so I would think that's what he prefers but I wouldn't mind hearing others thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
The elm might be 'prettier', doubt it's stronger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why not the best of both? Red Elm flat grain is beautiful! I would go Action-Boo core laminations and Red Elm Flat grain veneers. In my opinion that would make an outstanding looking and performing bow.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Red elm is light and has a high shear strength, plus I was told by a bowyer it glues up nicely is a reason for recommendation. Actionboo is about in same class so what was previously suggested would make a fast bow that would also look good. Red elm over actonboo core, good combo.

·
markliep
687 Posts
Based on a sample size of one have shot elm recurve & actionboo R/D LB - similar weights on hunting bows - no big difference that I could tell though I liked the slightly smoother actionboo feel - have just ordered some new ilf carbon-boo limbs so guess I'm biased - M

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
It depends on the bowyer's preference really. I turned one of my friends onto actionboo and he loves how easy it is to work with and the consistency of it. Another guy I know swears by red elm because he said it is just as fast as actionboo and has a low failure rate in his bow limb design. I personally like actionboo in limb core. It seems smoother to me at my long draw length.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
As I recall martin used a lot of red elm as outside veneer on the Savannah. I don't know what they used on the carbon viper, never got my hands on one--yet. But I've had several Savannahs and never a complaint of feel or speed.

·
Registered
370 Posts
As I recall martin used a lot of red elm as outside veneer on the Savannah. I don't know what they used on the carbon viper, never got my hands on one--yet. But I've had several Savannahs and never a complaint of feel or speed.
If I am not wrong, the earlier Savannahs uses red elm cores. The latest ones are bubinga with zebra wood veneers.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
the thing to remember about edge laminated material is that a lot of what you are using is adhesive. actionboo is strong, it is consistant, and it has none of the properties of regular bamboo.
we used a lot of red elm once we established a good reliable source. i think next to maple, it is one of the better laminations for longbows. we used it in high stress recurves also with minimal problems.
the viper had 3 laminations of a bamboo product made in china. it was moso bamboo and wider between glue joints than actionboo and had nodes still visible. i used that because of bamboos ability to dampen vibration from the linear carbon on the back. in testing i found that when you grind off the nodes on bamboo that it was no better or worse than any other material and probably not as reactive as maple.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts