Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a TT 15" riser with BM short recurve limbs = 56" bow 35lbs @28" GT 3555 full length which are shooting a whole lot better than I deserve. I shoot between 27.5 and 28".

Despite John's (TT tech) advise I chose the short limbs and now realize I probably have made a mistake because I believe it is stacking on me. Anyway, TT also offers a more expensive set of 'wood' like limbs, both recurve and longbow that I could get to bring my bow out to 60".

I've never owned a longbow (except homemade ones) and would like some info on performance difference(s) between a recurve and a longbow on the same style/length of riser (like mine) if any of you have ever tried both.

I apologize for the way the questions are asked, but I hope they make sense. I'd like to know if there are any major differences before I order and make another mistake.

Thanks in advance,
GLH

·
Bart Harmeling
3,384 Posts
I used to own a TT Black Onyx 15" riser. I purchased it with long BM carbon limbs. Later had the chance to try a set of TT longbow limbs. The longbow limbs were very quiet, but at 29.5" had noticeable stacking. The BMC recurve limbs where much better. The overall length of the recurve set up was 2" shorter than with the longbow limbs. Here's a thread on LW about the subject.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much. I think I'll stick with the recurve limbs since that is what I'm used to.
I'm going to contact John at TT and see if I can switch to the 'long' limbs. BTW, they must have read your thread since the fit and finish is as smooth as it can be (IMO).
All the best,
Gary

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I just bought a Pinnacle II and had to decide on limbs. I went with the long carbon/woods and although I only shot it once, I really like them. It is tough to buy a bow without shooting it. In the case of the TradTech, I tried both the Pinnacle II (19") and the Apex (17"). I also tried both the standard limbs and the carbon/wood limbs in both medium and long. Had I not been able to try the different combos, I might have gone with a different combo, and possible ended up trading it off later- for a loss.
Although I had been a fan of a 60' bow, I now feel that I would have been much better off with a 64" years ago.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I used to own a TT Black Onyx 15" riser. I purchased it with long BM carbon limbs. Later had the chance to try a set of TT longbow limbs. The longbow limbs were very quiet, but at 29.5" had noticeable stacking.
I have the same draw length and encountered the same scenario using extra-long Morrison longbow limbs on a 15" TDX. Even with the extra longs it was really borderline. I love the limbs, I prefer to shoot longbows, but I want a shorter rig than the 68" I'm shooting at present. My next step is to go to a 17" riser to see if that'll give me the balance of smoothness and overall length I want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts