Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'd like to purchase a couple of ladder stands for my property. I haven't used one in years so in not sure what's out there. Typically I use hang ons and step sticks. I'd like to leave them out year round so indoor need the latest and greatest. Just safe and somewhat comfy. I say somewhat because my hunts are limited to only a couple hours. I'm shooting a 58" recurve so clearance is a concern, no rails/ gun rest. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I have a Big Game 'Titan', not portable but solid and comfortable. Mine has rails and gun rest but I tie the rest up and back. It's wide enough so the rails are not a big deal, but it would probably be better without them. They make several models.

Mine has been in place for several years. Took three men to set it up!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Around here we have a hardware store called Menards. Last few years in DEC. I've bought some River's Edge stands on sale for 48 bucks. One year they went down to 38. We have 14 out on our property and 2 in the cabin looking for a home.

These stands are 15 footers and I've purchased a few 4 foot extensions. As you can see I think quantity is more important than quality. Really one ladder is as good as another as long as it doesn't have (more expensive) railings that just get in the way.

I do have a way to make the much more secure than the directions. If I get around to it I'll take some pictures on how to tie them in. PM me if your curious.

Bowmania

·
Registered
264 Posts
I bought a cheap one from a pawn shop and bolted 3 2.5' 2X6's on the top rails to make a nice little platform and use a "strap to the tree seat", I will do this again in the future as I don't feel like I'm going to fall off when standing and I have a nice flat 30" x 18" platform to stand on. Knocking your bow on the stand becomes a non issue for the most part. Only down side is it's a bit heavy but it's worth it once it's up.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The river's edge are fine, but the ones we have use cloth seats. I prefer the basics from sportsman guide. Metal seats so they won't rot away over time. No rail or arm rests so no issue with the bow. And cheap and easy to set.. We use in excess of 50 ladder stands on 4 properties and every time I buy a more expensive, bigger stand, I always regret it. The only issue some may have with the basics are the small size of the platform, but even with 13 eee feet, I seem to make due just fine.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
If you are used to a hang-on type stand, you probably like having the ability to stand up and remain very close to the tree trunk for concealment and support against your back. IMHO, that is where most cheap ladder stands fall short, at least most of mine do. They are often designed so that the seat platform is up against the tree but the foot platform is a foot or so away from the trunk. When you stand up, they provide no back support which can make standing for long periods somewhat tedious. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
What Dave said, plus I love a metal seat that folds up. Also, I was always on the look out for those folding seats that strapped to the tree. Then I could use them on stands without seats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts