Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
most of you know that I am not big on church-going (but my wife is) but I DO believe in God. both my wife & I believe that everything happens for a reason. when the recession hit, I lost my job & thought we might lose our home. but no sooner did this happen than my father took sick & I was free to help my mother care for him at home, & I was there when he passed. now, I am out of work again, & my wife says she is open to re-locating if necessary. this time I am not afraid of losing my home, nor of moving. now I just wonder what God has up his sleeve for me. do YOU believe that everything happens for a reason?

·
Premium Member
12,806 Posts
Yes.
MANY times in my life - the twists & turns fell into place so intricately, and SO WELL.
God is good.

Reactions: Walter Mauney

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Sometimes looking back can give us courage and confidence to go forward into the unknown. As you know, it ain't always easy. I take comfort in this scripture,"We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, to those who are called according to his purpose."(Rom. 8:28) Keep looking up, my friend, things will work out.

Reactions: Walter Mauney

·
Registered
291 Posts
most of you know that I am not big on church-going (but my wife is) but I DO believe in God. both my wife & I believe that everything happens for a reason. when the recession hit, I lost my job & thought we might lose our home. but no sooner did this happen than my father took sick & I was free to help my mother care for him at home, & I was there when he passed. now, I am out of work again, & my wife says she is open to re-locating if necessary. this time I am not afraid of losing my home, nor of moving. now I just wonder what God has up his sleeve for me. do YOU believe that everything happens for a reason?
Above all I believe in the Book of Job. But I feel that being always positive is good, because being negative can only be depressing. I wish you well. You guys deserve a break.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Pond, God responds to those who seek him.........Always
Very true. First and foremost, we have to seek Him. Then honestly look at His Word. Most people who trash the Bible have never honestly studied it with an open heart. When you do that, you will find it is so amazing it cannot be a haphazard book of stories, as some contend.

One of the most difficult issues for a Christian is groping with why bad things happen, and why God does not always intervene the way we think He should. I would highly recommend a book to you that will address many of those difficult questions. It is titled, Letters from a Skeptic, by Greg and Edward Boyd. It is a compilation of letters between a skeptical cynical unbelieving dad, and his believing son. They openly discuss many of those questions. Ultimately, the dad comes to a point of asking Christ into his life. The letters answer enough of his questions to bring him into Christianity.

I have studied the Christian belief system for over 35 years now. And the more I study, the stronger my confidence is. If Christians are right, you have everything to lose by not giving it an honest look.

Get that book. In fact, if you will email me with your full name and mailing address, I will send a copy at my expense.

Cato
[email protected]
Mitchell Blount

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hardest thing to separate for me as a Christian is his will and mine. We are naturally selfish and Our God is a jealous God. If we put him before our personal wants or needs he always reveals what we should do, alot of the times we might ignore if its not what we want. You said yourself that when you were out of work if gave you an opportunity to be with your Dad. Thats not chance Brother thats Divine intervention. I know you said your not big on Church going , but its a great way to keep growing spiritually , and it helps keep us accountable. If you do relocate give a good bible teaching, preaching church a try. God Bless

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
My big problem with church is people who think they are holier or closer to god then me.I believe we are all the same in G ods eyes.I hate hipocrits (not realy hate)but I FOUND MANY IN CHURCH.

·
Premium Member
12,806 Posts
Mamba, churches are full of PEOPLE......some are bound to be full of themselves.
Hopefully the church that you refer to is not full of them, & not ran by them.
I can tell you, in both churches (2) that I have a lot of experience with, the people that are like you speak of, are very few.....and they're ignoreable.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Steve it has been awhile since I've been in church.I use to go every Sunday with my wife.I liked the Pastor and his manor of preaching(actually held my interest).That church was split in half by gossip spread by another member of the church.The Pastor left and It still sets bad with me the way so called Christians can treat one another.

·
Premium Member
12,806 Posts
MAMBA, I get that, I honestly do, as I have seen churches split, too.
But, we have to consider how much SATAN enjoys it when we have doubts.
We are supposed to just keep doing what we are supposed to be doing, and that is looking to GOD for our answers......it's a big task for me, usually.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Hi pondscum2, havent seen you since that heavy, heavy rain at Cloverdale when the tractors were pulling people out of the parking field years ago; think you were driving a big chev van then. Always have enjoyed your humor and love your handle. I should really change mine to calledoutofthewoods, cause that's what happened to me about three years ago. Hunting, fishing, archery etc was the focus of my life back then. Based only on what you wrote in this thread, I suspect you, like me back then, interpreted God in our life the best we could; I had observed God work in my life, I'd seen Him answer prayer and I realized that time after time, when I was aware in my mind of a clear path to take, I had almost always chose the path that I felt and thought was right and ignored that other inner knowing. I would invariably overthink things (Proverbs 1:24-33). I too wasn't big on church, though I would come out of the woods to go with my wife and her aunt on the farm I hunted. I would even come out early for Bible study until the one new Pastor left. I was praying, seeking, searching and finally began reading every scripture I could find about His Kingdom. That showed me I didn't qualify to enter His Kingdom. That was scary. What I saw about my life was scary and I didn't want to grow old with all that I was seeing.

Years before that, back when the left behind books were popular, and about the time of Cloverdale, I was at work, under a car doing an alignment. The dealership was without an owner and being maintained by the Manufacturer. While working I became aware of a strong thought, a thought that I couldn't shake. The thought was to start a prayer group at work and pray for a Christian to come and take over the dealership who would treat us and the customers in a Christian way. I felt a little like the old bill cosby version of Noah, in that this was so foreign to me and so out of my league, but I couldn't shake it and felt deep inside that I should be obedient for once in my life. So I did it. One tech hated me for it, his wife wanted to come, some said they would come, only one did, but our shuttle driver was a Pastor without a church at the time and he said he would help me. He and his wife came for the three sessions we had. What came of that? The next man they sent to run the place happened to be an ordained minister, though he stayed only long enough for the place to close and be sold. The location closed and is now used by a local church for meetings (one day I'll have to tell them this story if I can find the original page I posted at the shop). About ten years later, (3 years ago) I was having a very strange season. Each weekend I would shoot a deer and not recover it. All clean shots taken with confidence, which put me into an inner search mode: what was happening? My legs were getting weaker, and I wasn't hunting deep in the woods any longer and stayed closer to the edges. We were eating enough venison to feed our three families but it was starting to become work instead of pleasure to a degree, though I still enjoyed being out in nature. Then that strong, knowing again, which this time told me it was time to accept the invite (7 years running) from my Pastor friend to attend church in his home. I was being told it was time to go to church and listen and learn. I believe the prayer meetings were to bond me to the Pastor and his wife, because praying together does something to the heart. Also, he once prayed for me years ago about my marriage. An old flame was running with an old boyfriend of hers and wanted to visit with me and my wife when they attended the Springfield mile. I asked the pastor to pray with me because I knew that wasn't a great idea. A day later she called saying her friend took sick in Chicago and they had to go home.

All that has been said so far is just the preliminaries, the getting to know you so to speak, of a Loving God trying to reach someone with a heart for him, but no direction, and no understanding of His ways.

Well I was being called out of the woods, and called to church. Again, this was strong in my mind, my heart, my being. Again, I decided to be obedient. My wife needed these weekend camping/hunting trips cause we had let one of the daughters come back home with 2 boys and a boyfriend (very bad move and a story in itself). I had to decide to go to church with or without the wife and take the heat of messing up her weekends of peace and quite and our only real alone time. Again, I was beginning to put God in His proper place: first in my life, before my desires and my wife. That was the beginning of a changed life and a new understanding of life; a new direction. The key ingredients are seeing how you are living wrong and seeking to be made right, which is actually seeking first His Kingdom and His righteousness and then, He begins to bless our lives with understanding after understanding, with joys, with new found love in our hearts. We learn how we are supposed to live for him and serve him and not ourselves. He gives us the desire to do things we never dreamed possible and then rewards us for our obedience. Our gifts become known to ourselves, the church body and are put to good use serving his kingdom. Our calling becomes known and is also put to good and proper use serving his kingdom and not our own or someone elses.

It's a new life pondscum2 with new meaning and now I'm part of a small church body (actually a very large church body of believers which probably makes up a very small percentage of humanity and it's religions) that is unified in our desire to grow and to live our lives under his guidance, each day seeking to deny self and pick up our cross and be led by His Spirit.

To answer your question, yes I do believe that everything happens for a reason. Some things happen because of our choices, right or wrong. Some things happen as Jesus tries to call us to himself and lead us down the right path, many things happen because this world has been tempted, distracted, lied to and manipulated by Satan, and as Bowbender Mike said, that all things work together for good for those who love God and are called to his purpose. So listen for His call, seek Him with all your heart, mind and body, repent of your sinful ways and seek his righteousness and let him lead you through this life and into the next.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am kind of amazed to see this still at the top of the list, but grateful. it does me good to read the kind words & advice here, reminds me of others innate goodness, & (hopefully) spurs me to be a better father, husband, & provider in the lifetime I have left. God grants us no timelines, but calls us (seemingly) at random. all one can do is the best he can in the time he has left...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts