Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I die, I'd like to get a trophy without buying one myself.
The world of archery has really changed since I was a boy and shot my Herter's recurve.
I'm trying to figure out just how good I have to be to get a trophy in an archery tournament shooting the bow I have in mind....a recurve with no sights or pins or stabs...just a plain takedown recurve.
So I really need some advice here.
There's IBO and ASA. ....looks like ASA is where the money is paid out....
So far as I can tell, a guy named Rick Welch has won everything in the USA in the IBO up until 2010 or so.....then a guy named Sean Callanan has taken everything.....am I right?
What makes these guys so good?
And why dont they shoot in the ASA.....maybe they have?......cant find out.
How can one person dominate the entire field for so long?
I think they only shoot at 3-D targets...
My first tournament will be in Monroe, Louisiana at the end of Feb. 2012....I guess I'll get a chance to see one of those guys or someone like em.....
I dont think I'll do well....
I noticed that the IBO paid out $390.00 or something and the ASA pays out a lot more....the compd winner won $3500.00 ...someone called Levi Morgan....
Is the IBO not glamarous enough.....or does no one shoot these ole traditional bows anymore......not enough glitz....not high tech.....no crowd appeal.....
I've got a lot to learn about this sport.....
I'm really ignorant right now....
I know I like it...always have...now I've got the time and inclination to get better...I think I will......
Could a few of you comment.....I'd appreciate it.....buy you a brewsky sometime.
D.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
You called it, the $ is in compound. There are a number reasons for this, but basically that's the fact of it. NFAA has bigger payouts than either IBO or ASA.
Want to have a chance at trophies? Start small. Shoot and win your local shoots for a couple years. Then move up to shooting at the State level. If you can dominate there for a year or two then you have a chance at winning at the National or World level.
Sure you could prove to be an exceptional shooter and just skyrocket to the top, But for 99.99% of the top shooters it means putting in the time and the work.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Get some good coaching would be a start....then follow what they tell you....then do the above.

I have seen Rick Welch shoot - took a shooting clinic with him.....he is amazing....not sure why he stopped competiting...guess he needed to make some money and started doing clinics instead, but you walk around with him and watch him shoot and if your not picking your jaw up off the ground then you might be the first.

so I guess you want an on the mantel trophy.....

there are many trophies out there and for me I look at every animal I take with a bow pretty much as a trophy.

Try to shoot a grouse in a tree with a regular arrow and a judo without losing the flu arrow...that would be a great shot and a trophy to me :)

Jer

·
Trad Curious since 2009
757 Posts
there are some really good Traditional shooters in ASA . The Texas Pro/Am has had the most show up recently. there just arent that many in the class. 15-20 at most ASA shoots. You can look at past shoots and payout on their site. You ain't going to get rich shooting Trad in ASA for sure. Contingency money is where it is at. Levi may win $3500 for the shoot but the bow maker pays out another $4-5 k and the arrow maker 1-2 k and so on. At the end of the day he will make 7-10k for a 45 shot tourney.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Just go to some local trad shoots and have some fun first. You will find it tought to be real competitive unless you just happen to be a real natural. I have won my fair share of prizes or trophy's in some 3D shoots but to be in the top 10 at a lot of the bigger shoots you will need plenty of practice. I have shot with 3-400 shooters in a few events and I have never placed better than 4th. at those big events, but will say this I am not one of the better out there just better than average I guess. Most importantly have fun! Shawn

·
Registered
192 Posts
Who cares about some inanimate object that will collect dust on a shelf,go to shoots to have FUN,make new FRIENDS,help children get started in archery,the true measure of a person is not the trophys on a shelf, but the number of people you can call friends!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The comment about going to some local 3d shoots that are not affiliated with any particular organization is an excellent one. Ther you can get a feel of how you can do on the various scenarios. Tbot in Texas has a lot of them, as does Oklahoma.

As formthe big IBO trad worlds and such. There are a lot of good shooters around. The one fellow you mentioned has not won all of them. Ryan Ramsey has taken the top spot in several. With many others up there close. Young fellow named Shiloh Butts is hated in Texas. He has all their first place buckles for a few years and he's from Oklahoma :)

As for one of the guys you mentioned winning everything, two years ago after the first round of the IBO worlds he was over 50 points down. He declined to shoot the second day, stating he wanted to help his daughter shoot. Last year he was a no show. You figure out what happened.

Mr. Jenkins who is on this sight had a bad round last year, but he finished anyway. Hats off to him. The quality of that fellow came out for me in that he did that. Better shut up now

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
That was a comment I heard many times after that shoot Gray. The talent and integrity of Rod are both huge, with his rep to look after it would have been very easy to cry off the second round but he stood up and was counted, hats off to him.
As far as trophy winning goes, as said before, shoot local to see where the standard is, get your experience then step up to the bigger leagues. If you hit the point where the fun has gone and winning is everything, go back to your local shoots and learn how to have fun again.

·
Registered
387 Posts
If I lived I louisiana year around i'd shoot 3-d year around, but living in michigan I shoot indoors for 3 1/2 months a year. Work on form & mechanics indoors you shoot 20 yards, asa max is 25 not much difference.
At the trad world 2 years ago ricky welch was given the choice by the buys in his class to shoot with his 2 girls and turn in his score, but he decided not to because it wouldn't be right because he didn't. Shoot with his group.
Jim

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
No need to elaborate or add too what We think happened at the trad worlds. Facts generally speak out louder which is a good thing. Visit with several different people and you get several opinions.

Back to the original post, guy hit your local shoots, dont worry about how you compare with others, just see how you manage. Set a goal to reach. Average an 8 per target and you will have more finishes in the top if the group than you could imagine

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Don't know and don't care what happened at shoots in the past but, having spoken to Rod about his travel schedule I am impressed that he continues to compete - his schedule just doesn't allow for the amount of practice he once got.

Rod's "rep" at this point should be about the number of his students that have won State and National titles and the guys and gals that he has started down the road to better shooting.

Says something about the level of shooting at Trad worlds if averaging 8.25 points per target is a bad round.

Matt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.