Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take three good sized squirrels that the grandson whacked in the backyard with his pellet gun...Clean, rinse and quarter the squirrels.

Salt and pepper and garlic powder the squirrel pieces and In a castiron skillet brown slightly in olive oil.

In a crockpot put two cups of natural rice....one can of chicken stock.....one medium onion cut up...two or three stalks of celery cut up includeing the green tops...two chopped tablespoons of fresh parsley...salt and pepper and garlic to taste....add the browned squirrel pieces...add a little water if needed...put on the lid and cook in the crockpot all day till the squirrel is about falling off the bone.....and enjoy!

Comes out sorta like chicken and rice except with squirrels....

P.S....my wife says.... "ewww...why do you have to call it rats and rice! Why cant you just call it squirrels and rice???"

Why...because rats and rice sounds like more fun!;)

P.SS Somthines i'll substitue a box of Rice-A-Roni.....and of course I call that Rats-A-Roni!

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,700 Posts
This makes me glad I live in the city. We don't eat squirrels. In fact, we have trouble even spelling it. Now cock roaches, ah, that is another story. Want my recipe for rice and roach?

·
Premium Member
All
1,045 Posts
Hello All
Growing up in Kentucky. Squirrel gravy and biscuits.
My grand father was fon of cracking the Squirrel scul and eating the brains.

After I got to manhood I raised and hunted and showed Squirrel dogs.
I'm a Life time member of the Original Cur club in TN.
About 8 of us guys would travel and stay a week. And hunt are dogs. a hundred squirrels was a small hunt.

There are several breeds of squirrels. Red fox Black Greys , Albino, Jack , and Cat squirrels.

Have ate several small animals. All but the O-possum. He eats in one end and comes out the other end of a animal . So U see a squirrel isn't that bad really . [ Smile

===========
Now to those roaches and water bugs. A light coating of Herc-hey syrup or Uncle Ben's pancake syrup.will help them go down easier. Gives them a better taste .[Smile [ Later

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
never had them with rice, but ate truck loads of squirrel & dumplings. my grandfather always hogged the brains...
As did my good friend Danny Carr, originally from Kentucky.

Stopped doing that when he found out that they could carry Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, a variant of mad cow disease that can be transmitted to humans and is fatal.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Just bought a new squirrel rifle. A 36 cal. flintlock. All this talk about rats and rice made me hungry. I have a lot of squirrels on my farm. A few less than before the Amish moved in but enough for a couple of meals.

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
hank, different cultures have different tastes, some from need. khmer rouge taught the survivors in cambodia to eat lots of things they would never have eaten in normal circumstances. the country went back to stone age and still has not came all the way back. because of inflation, the things they ate to survive in work camps look pretty good most of the time.
sorry about hijacking the thread! we don't hunt squirrels out here. there are some, but they have a lot of disease.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Stopped doing that when he found out that they could carry Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, a variant of mad cow disease that can be transmitted to humans and is fatal.
my grandfather lived to be 88. broke his hip falling out of the hay loft whilst feeding the horses & cattle. doc made him sell his stock & he said " #### it. I aint got a reason to get out of bed." died less than two months later. our forefathers was tougher (by a LOT!) than most of us today...

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
I have actually eaten a rat, and liked it. Back in college (where free food is where you find it) we put a muskrat in a crockpot and it was surprisingly good. Well they are vegetarians just like a deer or a moose. Just keep the musk off the meat. Later on someone at party passed around a cooked fox snake on the bone but I had to draw the line there.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Best meat I ever ate was raccoon. It was at a game dinner, those folks were darn fine cooks. Rich dark meat, perfectly seasoned, tender and juicy. In hind sight, I should have asked them for the recipe.

I get trail cam pix of one very fat raccoon around my stand, almost looks like a furry basketball with a mask. Crockpot, onions, garlic...

·
Registered
1 Posts
In a crockpot put two cups of natural rice....one can of chicken stock.....one medium onion cut up...two or three stalks of celery cut up includeing the green tops...two chopped tablespoons of fresh parsley...salt and pepper and garlic to taste....add the browned squirrel pieces...add a little water if needed...put on the lid and cook in the crockpot all day till the squirrel is about falling off the bone.....and enjoy! and keepwell.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts