Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get ready for the World Archery field championships in August in Croatia But, first, important things. Our family is having a family reunion in South Dakota this week. Yesterday, I drove 1071 miles into Wyoming. Today, My dad and I arrived in Rapid City at 8:00 p.m. I've got a few family members I haven't seen for a long while and some who might not be around much longer so I'm excited by the turnout, about 50 family members. Called the local archery shop before I left to find out if there were any outdoor ranges around. Yes was the answer so I am going to be up early every morning to practice before things get going. The youngsters have plenty of things planned for everyone so we'll be busy. Mount Rushmore, wind caves, alpine slides, gunfights, nighttime light shows. Should be fun.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
I really like Rapid City. I went there many years ago, the first flight with my first son, when he was an infant. We climbed Devil's Tower and did a route on Tricouni Nail, in the Ten Pins in the Black Hills. We also toured Wind and Jewel Caves, Custer Park and the Badlands. There are few areas with such a high concentration of outstanding outdoor scenery and activities. Hope all goes well with both the family and the tournament.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I lived in Custer for 7 years, the last 2 I commuted to Rapid every day. I love the Blackhills, they are magical... that's what kept me from going crazy on a 100 mile a day commute to go to class!!!

Have a great day,
Kasey

PS take pictures!!!

Reactions: itbeso

·
Spearhead
3,565 Posts
Northern hills bow hunters in spearfish has a great outdoor range to shoot. Beautiful country and great range.
Black hills archery has an indoor range, think it's 6-8 targets.

Gillette
Pronghorn archery has 1/2 field range and a full practice range above the field range.
Rocky Mtn sports has 12 target indoor range.

Chad

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Northern hills bow hunters in spearfish has a great outdoor range to shoot. Beautiful country and great range.
Black hills archery has an indoor range, think it's 6-8 targets.

Gillette
Pronghorn archery has 1/2 field range and a full practice range above the field range.
Rocky Mtn sports has 12 target indoor range.

Chad
Thanks Chad.

·
Super Moderator
2,769 Posts
I visited the area only briefly. Didn't realize there was so much to offer.

How are the winters? - lbg

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I visited the area only briefly. Didn't realize there was so much to offer.

How are the winters? - lbg
Lbg, never been here before. This site was picked because it was central to all the relatives ( Virginia to California). The area is beautiful, rolling hills, pines, green. Reminds me a lot of northern California. I imagine the winters are pretty harsh.Ben

·
Spearhead
3,565 Posts
Winter, yes it can be quite harsh two years ago they had a heavy snow and it collapsed a lot of roofs to homes and businesses.
Can get cold -20/-30 below zero, nothing like North Dakota tho they have bad winters.

Chad

·
Registered
649 Posts
I never missed a day of class due to winter issues, I would just get up a couple hours early and wait for a plow to go by my house then just follow him. It usually doubled my commute but I always made it safe... I also have Subaru which helped some!!!

Don't forget the tourist spots in the blackhills like Keystone (mt rushmore), go see crazy horse monument (2 miles from where I lived), and Deadwood. Those are all really fun places, Hill City has a museum with a local t-rex that was found, Hot Springs has a HUGE mammoth site, and wild horse sanctuary, and lots of national and state parks.

Have a great and safe trip!!!
Kasey

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I never missed a day of class due to winter issues, I would just get up a couple hours early and wait for a plow to go by my house then just follow him. It usually doubled my commute but I always made it safe... I also have Subaru which helped some!!!

Don't forget the tourist spots in the blackhills like Keystone (mt rushmore), go see crazy horse monument (2 miles from where I lived), and Deadwood. Those are all really fun places, Hill City has a museum with a local t-rex that was found, Hot Springs has a HUGE mammoth site, and wild horse sanctuary, and lots of national and state parks.

Have a great and safe trip!!!
Kasey
All those are on our itinerary for the week. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.