Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on the 3D course, planning to make a lot of the lanes longer - it's a mixed course, NOT trad-only, and I'm planning on setting compound shots out as far as 50 yards (IBO max.)

My problem is, since I'm so used to the traditional 'perspective' I'm not sure what 50 yards looks like! ;-)

So I'm planning to get a range finder, just for this purpose. My question is, what's a good, modest price range finder?

I see a lot of 'super' stuff, good for 800 yards (!!!), $500 ++ but not too many units designed for the bow hunter.

Any recommendations? Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Really anything will do honestly I'd go on Sportsman guide and look at some of theirs, reas the reviews and see what people say about them. We got a Bushnell from cabelas for like 200 bucks last year. And it works greats, as for the 50 yards I run my clubs shoots Both trad and compounds as well our club members happen to like taking some far shots ever once and a while so I have a few lanes where I can really out them out there on ranges from 40-55 yards depending on the target size for that shoot, another one is at a good 58-62 yards and the others are like 50 and 58. Its a real curve ball for people becuase how offten do you say "oh i shot a mountain goat from 60 yards" and so far people have liked them. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bush...gclid=CKiz6_LBgM8CFYVZhgodeWkD-w&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
643 Posts
Be careful with cheap range finders. A lot of time mine doesn't see black targets like bears... To be honest unless you are going to use it all the time I would just get a 300' tape measure for $15 from harbor freight. After the first time or two marking out max distances per lane, you probably won't really do it again. You can use the tape later for a field course.

Reactions: Dana C

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I hadn't thought of the long tape, or figured they were $$$$

Heck of it is I was right by the nearest HF on my last ammo run ;-)

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, just ordered a Bushnell, was over half off on Cabelas website.

Walked the course the other day with the IBO rep, overall looking good, but he suggested ranging it to see what max distances were, and also to keep stake distances varied. Made sense to me.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, after using this thing for a bit I have two observations -

First, it's a neat little tool, and easy to use

Second, and this is huge, I totally suck at estimating yardage!

I'm currently re-setting a course, and need to have the max distances right. Lanes I thought were 40-ish turn out to be 33 yards. What I thought was 19 was 16. Is this 50 yards? Try 38!

And on and on.

I'm finding that I need to stretch quite a few lanes out some, and that's making more work. The good part is, sometimes I can step back and sideways a bit, and find a longer narrow lane. Adding 4-5 yards and tightening things up changes the shot a lot.

The question in my mind now is, are the shooters gonna like it? Or hate my bloody guts?!

;-)

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
For the future? 14 normal steps =10 yards.
Big time 3d secret. Watch previous shooter step off the range for you. Lots of shoots will not put stakes inline with the target. Well at lease out west. Lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts