Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK .. seeing as I'm laid up wth a sore back and I can't shoot for a couple of weeks, I thought I'd entertain myself by posting some random pictures associated with and to archery history. There's no order or topic, they're just pictures on my computer that I like for one reason or another that may be of some interest and maybe start a discussion ..
here we go ... oh ... and by the way please feel free to add any pictures of your own

lets start with perhaps some of the most famous bows in the world ... longbows from the Mary Rose .. and yes that is a rare picture of me

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Perhaps one of the greatest archers of all time, Horace A Ford.
This is the orginal membership register of The Royal Toxophilite Society where Fords name appears as member number 138 December 1st 1850

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
.. back to bows again ... the Flodden bow. Found hidden in the thatched roof of a house .... this was was thought to have been used at the battle of Flodden in 1513

Reactions: Larry Hatfield

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
When the pointy end of an arrow hits you .... you stay hit ... what grain weight do you think these are?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Although sometimes we don't consider crossbows as traditional, this fine 16th century example looks pretty trad to me ... complete with it's cranequin

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've always loved the depiction of bows in Medieval art and manuscripts .. here are some of my favourites

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Over in the " colonies" ( oops sorry.. don't mean to offend) archery in the latter years of the 19th century was still shot very much in the English style as Mrs Philips will testify

·
Registered
503 Posts
Phil, I love the pics, and it's nice to see a pic of you at any age. Nice to see a face on the other end of the conversation. Love the quip about " the colonies". I've used that term myself, joking with some of my English friends from time past. I need to post the pic of the crossbow on the Leatherwall. They always like to fight about them not being traditional over there.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I truely believe that one of the great archery books that hasn't been written is the develpoment of bow design in the USA in the perod from around 1880 to about 1920 ... even up to 1908 the English style longbow was still the popular choice.

Reactions: Larry Hatfield

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
One of my all time archery heros, or should I say heroines, Lida Scott Howell. Anyone who wins 17 national champonships deserves respect. There's something businesslike about the photograph, the rolled up sleeve and the plain clothes to me shows a women who's serious about her sport.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
staying with the 19th century .... the inside front cover of my copy of Horace Ford's classic book Archery Theory and Practice is this delightful and delicate hand drawn illustration. The inscription reads "Kimbolton Archers 6th Aug 1861
The "Awarded to Emily mary Wade - Gery" was hand written by Horace Ford himself

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Such great pics mate ...
And everyone seems to have great form ... It must have been wierd for them though ...

Having arguments about what's instinctive and trad must have been somewhat frustrating when conversing by telegram ...

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Having arguments about what's instinctive and trad must have been somewhat frustrating when conversing by telegram ...
Ben ..that is so funny ... you can just imagine the telegram
My Dear Mrs Howell, One would like to know if one shots in the instinctve style.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
"Dear Phil, it would be remiss of me at this point to not remind you that the majority of Telegrams suggest that Crossbows will not actually be invented until next year , and will still be regarded as curiosa , therefore invalid. As to your query Sir, to remain in good humour , and not let rage inflame my corset even further I simply proclaim that I Aim, therefore I Am. A new world theory no doubt, but the gas lamp runs low as the man taps away my message , so I shall remain , with respect , cordially yours Ms Howell."

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ben .. please .. no more ... I'm suffering with my back and you making me laugh isn't helping .. bl**dy funny though

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I've always loved the way archery has been depicted in art. Some of England's greatest portrait painters have painted their subjects in an archery pose

1 - 20 of 30 Posts