Trad Talk Forums banner

Raising boys...

Tags
boys raising
2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  raindog 
#1 ·
I thought it might be good to have a place to talk about the unique challenges and opportunities presented by raising sons. I have three boys myself, and our society is not a nice place to be a boy these days. This world God made, however, is a great place to be a boy!

One of the best books on discipling a boy to manhood is Boyhood and Beyond. I very highly recommend it for those of you with boys.

Here are the 3 young men in training that God has blessed my wife and I with.

#2 ·
i and my brother spent all summer every summer from the time we were 6 and 7 years old by ourselves 18 miles from a road riding and keeping track of all the bell cows. it forced us to think about results of any decision we made because no help was available. our father rode in every friday night and stayed till sunday.
today that would be child abuse. then, it taught reliance on each of our abilities to do the job, feed ourselves, and stay safe.
i had my family back in the fifties and raised them through some pretty tumultous times.
each of my children, two girls and one boy, were allowed to be who they really are and are pretty nice people.
each is very different in all aspects of their lives with the exception of a strong work ethic that is common to all of them, the confidence that self reliance brings, and the belief in "doing the right thing".
one is catholic, one is lutheran, and one is baptist.
we encouraged all of them to treat religion like any other aspect of living, be informed, think, be comfortable with your decisions.
your sons look like a lively bunch! hope all of your family finds joy every day.

#3 ·
Mike,

The little fella looks like he might be full of vinegar! I bet he is a challenge to keep up with, let alone try to keep a step ahead of him!! Great looking family my friend!

Bill

P.S. Mike - I speak from the perspective of the Grandfather of two 6 yearold granddaughters, a 3-1/2 year old grandson, a 3 yearold grandson, a 1 yearold granddaughter, and a soon to be new grandson (due in July). The three little ones wear me out!!!

#5 ·
Raising boys

Esquire,

I have three boys as well and it would appear they are pretty close to the same age as yours. Mine are 14, 12, and 5.

One of the best things your guys have going for them is a Dad who cares and is there for them. I have been working with youth for many years now through the church, school and Scouting. It seems that the vast majority of kids having the most trouble are in a single parent home.

The best advise I can give you is to be patient, communicate with them, and keep them involved in activities that promote responsiblity and character development and away from those that will drag them down.

I firmly believe that one of the best way to turn fine boys into fine young men is getting them into Scouting. I will be glad to talk to you and your boys about Scouting anytime at all and come to Lexington to meet with you if you'd like. There are some good Troops in your area to get involved with.

Both of my older boys have been in since Cub Scouts and I firmly believe it makes a difference and I have seen the changes it can bring out in boys who were troubled. The youngest one will start next year as well.

When they are in Scouting they are around people who share good traditional values and morals. As an added bonus, there are few things that look better on a young fellow's resume than Eagle Scout my friend.

Scouting teaches leadership, responsibilty, self-reliance, and valuable life skills that will be with them as long as they live.

I invite you to bring your boys and come hang out with us for a day during Summer Camp at Camp McKee in Montgomery County. We wll be there from June 24th through July 2nd.

When you follow the Scout trail, you are following the trail the Lord laid out for us in many ways. :jesus: :amen:

Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

It's not just the Scout Law, it's a way of life and one I try every day, with God's help, to lead.

Get them in a good troop and you won't regret it. I promise!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.