Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Is the Comet mainly a youth bow or is it also an adult bow?
It seems you already have a stallion. I have a Quinn Comet XL 3D. This bow is incredible, at any price, but especially given its low price. There is a detailed review online.

http://www.tradtalk.com/index.php?ind=news&op=news_show_single&ide=15

I'm sure the XL is similar. I do not know anything about the standard Quinn model, it does seem to be for kids, but is only slightly less than the XL or XL 3D.

My quinn is fully camo'd, has a 12 oz weight, elevated rest, and mountain muffler string. At my draw length of 29" it is pulling about 42 lbs. With .600 deflection carbon arrows, it is very fast. It shoots as well as my Warf risers with sky conquest carbon limbs. I do not hesitate to recommend these bows. I'll probably buy an extra soon, in case they ever stop producing them.

R

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I already have a Stallion...this year it is going to be my hunting bow only and the Comet will serve as my 3D bow, I want to get the
(Regular) Comet 30# @ 28", I was just wondering how many of you have the (Regular) Comet...I am going to call David today and order.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I ordered today...decided to go with the Comet XL 30# @ 28" instead of the regular Comet, can't wait for it to get here!

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
The XL can come in a 68" length, which the XL-#D does not. The XL-3D comes in higher poundages. The limbs are different too. The XL-3D has double laminated limbs, while the XL is single. Offhand, I think the higher poundage and upgraded limbs means the XL-3D has an 'eye' for speed, probably why the 3D is tacked on there. The regular XL is probably geared more for shooting fixed distance where speed is not quite as important. Unless you want a bow lighter than 40# or longer than 66", I would go with the XL-3D. They are about the same price, the XL-3D has a detailed review online with speed figures, and I have a feeling many here would testify to its shootability and speed. I have two warf bows with carbon limbs (sky conquest and samick), a martin hunter, and a mahaska recurve, in addition to the XL-3D. I have not chronographed any of these, but my judgement based upon shifts in arrow point of impact and watching the arrow fly is that the XL-3D is the fastest of these bows (for the same draw weight). With the 66" length, it is also very smooth and fun to shoot. Hope this helps. I stripped the paint off the riser and painted it a flat gray with aluma-hyde II (a 1 part gun coating from brownell's) and duracoat'd the limbs. It looks like a slightly long, proper hunting recurve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.