Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not wanting to hijack Beleg's 8190 thread where it was mentioned that D97 made for a noisy string, I am curious as to what you consider the quietest material and how you arrived at your conclusion. Thanks...Rob

·
j-san = Jason
1,684 Posts
I wonder if the quality of construction plays a larger role in quietness than string material? I make my own endless loop strings and have used D97, Angel ASB, TS-1 Plus, and now Astroflight. I can't quite recall how noisy the D97 and ASB was as they were exclusively used on an Olympic recurve at least 5-6 years ago. Astroflight seems to be nice and quiet for the most part.

I have a couple strings made by Rick Barbee and those are quieter than my endless loop strings. I believe he uses Rhino material. Not sure if it is the material or the way he makes them, but I could tell right away with the first shot the bow was noticeably quieter - no twang, just a thump. My method of assessment is rather simple. I just string up the bow and take some shots with it at my in-home range. I use the same arrows so I think it makes for a fairly consistent sound test. I lack a decibel meter so it is purely a subjective measurement.

·
Bart Harmeling
3,551 Posts
I agree with j-san that construction contributes more to quietness than does the material. Rhino is quiet, but it's most desirable characteristic is it is very resistant to creep, which is very important when building strings that have less than traditional number of strands.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm curious about the specifics of the question. Is the question asking about quietness before or after string silencers are added?

Personally, after using D97 and 8190 I don't hear a noticeable difference in sound after the silencers are added. But, before adding silencers, there is a big difference in sound. There is not so much a difference in volume, but tone and frequency is different. I'm not sure it's the material itself, but any string you make with a particular recipe (strand count, string type, design choice etc.) will have it's own natural frequency and tone as dictated mostly by tension, thickness and weight of the string.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Not wanting to hijack Beleg's 8190 thread where it was mentioned that D97 made for a noisy string, I am curious as to what you consider the quietest material and how you arrived at your conclusion. Thanks...Rob
D97 can be extremely quiet……if the string construction is correct.
8190 can be extremely quiet……if the string construction is correct.

D97 was the first extremely low creep material to hit the market.(to the best of my recollection) D97 is made from 100% SK75 Dyneema. The sound waves of this material may be slightly longer in duration than 8190 or BCY "X", but the difference is small.

8190 is made from 100% SK90, making it the hands down strongest material in the BCY lineup.
BCY "X" is made from a blend of 83% SK90, and 17% Vectran.

I have yet to spin a string with the new "X" material, but I suspect that I will like it even better than the 8190.

Another material that should not be overlooked is Brownells "Rhino". I have some flemish strings made for me by our own Rick Barbee out of Rhino material, and they are silent, fast, and are holding up very well.

With any material, the quality of the build is the biggest determination in noise level.

Too much serving and uneven serving both contribute to more noise.

Large overlaps of serving that cause a big "lump" where the loop meets the main string is the biggest culprit in elevated noise levels. Instead of a smooth transition when the string is dumped, that "lump" slaps the limb, causing all sorts of issues that result in unnecessary noise.

Reactions: Rasyad

·
Registered
641 Posts
Just out of curiosity, has anyone compared sound levels between 3 bundle Flemish twist and endless loop, same material, same number of strands?

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks y'all for your opinions, and yes, I agree construction is a majority of it. I've been building 12 strand D97's for my 42-52# recurves and longbows and after reading the opinion that D97 is louder.....I thought I'd pick the blue screen brain trust for replacement material recommendations that would be inherently quieter and at least as good in the performance department.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts