Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to send in my registration but have a couple of questions.

The website says the shoot is Friday through Sunday, but it sounds like the main tournament is Saturday and Sunday. I was planning on driving up on Friday from the Los Angeles area. Do we have to check in on Friday, or actually shoot on Friday?

Also, I am not sure yet about the hunter challenge except to say that 40 arrows for a tournament is not very many and it would be good to shoot more. Can you sign up for the challenge once you get there, or sign up for additional rounds?

Any other advise on this tournament would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Hank

Once you pay for the hunter challenge you can shoot it as many times as you like. For the IBO you need to shoot 2 20 target rounds either Friday and Saturday or both on Saturday. If you shoot in the top 10 in your IBO devision you shoot a final 20 targets on Sunday.

The shoot down for the finals of the hunters challange is Saturday afternoon. You would have a hard time shooting 2 IBO rounds and one hunters challange round all on Saturday before the hunters challange shoot down.

At the very least I'd try and get your hunters challange round out of the way on Friday.

Matt

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hank, you need to check with IBO you may only be able to score the Hunters Challenge once...if it was me I'd hit the bags for a few minutes Friday then straight to the hunters challenge on Friday to get dialed in for your first 20 on Saturday morning...if you're killin it then shoot it all on Saturday...I always break it up over two days.

Dewayne

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank for the skinny on this. This is much less structured than the FITA shoots that I do. I am new to 3D and do not expect to kill it, I am just trying to add to my experience in this format. I am also short shot challenged, so 25 and in will be interesting for me. I figure I can get up there from Los Angeles pretty early on Friday. It sounds like you just check in and get going. Well, my main goal is not to lose or break many arrows. At least have enough to get through the 40 targets and the hunter challenge.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Good luck and enjoy it Hank. My goal next year is to start some 3D shoots.

Alan

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I would highly suggest following Dewayne's idea. Thats what I did last year at the Trad World -- hit the bags and then use the bowhunter range as a tune up. It should give you a good idea of what to expect on the IBO ranges.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would highly suggest following Dewayne's idea. Thats what I did last year at the Trad World -- hit the bags and then use the bowhunter range as a tune up. It should give you a good idea of what to expect on the IBO ranges.
Absolutely, I may not even have my point-on and tune established yet. I can use it as a practice round to get my distances calibrated. I am paying for my new longbow today. I think I will get it in time for the shoot, but I will have to fake it with the arrows, and choose whatever seems to work the best from my existing stock. I will not have much time to work things out. The Hunter Challenge is a great start.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Come on guys. Tell me more stuff. Am I going to have to shoot my 70 inch longbow sidearm to get through tight spots? Are they going to make me sit in a boat and shoot? I'm a target guy. I need to know what kind of shots hunters have to take.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Come on guys. Tell me more stuff. Am I going to have to shoot my 70 inch longbow sidearm to get through tight spots? Are they going to make me sit in a boat and shoot? I'm a target guy. I need to know what kind of shots hunters have to take.
You'll have ask Matt, he's the only other one who sees the targets from way up high.

Is the motorcycle shot back this year?

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Hank,

IBO LB is 25yds max so I wouldn't worry much about finding your POD. What I'd do is find the gap that gets you into the 10 at as many ranges as possible then practice the heck out of that. Just shoot every target with that gap and you will be doing fine.

-Grant

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Hank

Once you pay for the hunter challenge you can shoot it as many times as you like. For the IBO you need to shoot 2 20 target rounds either Friday and Saturday or both on Saturday. If you shoot in the top 10 in your IBO devision you shoot a final 20 targets on Sunday.

The shoot down for the finals of the hunters challange is Saturday afternoon. You would have a hard time shooting 2 IBO rounds and one hunters challange round all on Saturday before the hunters challange shoot down.

At the very least I'd try and get your hunters challange round out of the way on Friday.

Matt
So if you shoot in the top 10 in your division in the IBO, you'll shoot a total of 60 targets, aside from what ever you might do on the Hunter Challenge?

That doesn't seem to match the flyer. 40 IBO total, 20 Hunter Challenge, which may be repeated. Seems to me one could do 20 Hunter Challenge first on Sat. Then 20 IBO. Then last 20 IBO on Sunday before 11 am. At least that's what the flyer seems to indicate.

I'm just kinda concerned as I may not be able to make it there until Friday night.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I think you will be fine Sunday morning is only if necessary Mike Rash held Sunday for your reason if not able to shoot Friday
So if you shoot in the top 10 in your division in the IBO, you'll shoot a total of 60 targets, aside from what ever you might do on the Hunter Challenge?

That doesn't seem to match the flyer. 40 IBO total, 20 Hunter Challenge, which may be repeated. Seems to me one could do 20 Hunter Challenge first on Sat. Then 20 IBO. Then last 20 IBO on Sunday before 11 am. At least that's what the flyer seems to indicate.

I'm just kinda concerned as I may not be able to make it there until Friday night.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts