Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of testing of different bow, arrow spines and arrow weights. On one bow, my Pittsley Predator (54#) I have always shot a GT 5575 w/250gr point. The bow was always quiet and accurate and quite fast. Yesterday just for testing (and I acquired 1/2dz Bear Super Razorheads 132gr) I shot GT 3555. WOW, now the bow is blazing fast and even more of a tac driver. As expected it is a bit louder though. Should I try to quiet it down? ie; rubber tubing on the string, pad the string or other options or stick with the same old setup?
I am strictly a hunter and don't do 3D or competitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I like a quiet bow and usually throw all the tricks at my bow to minimize noise. I like a quiet bow simply because it seems right.

That said, I don't think bow noise is a big deal from a hunting perspective unless it's extraordinarily loud. I doubt you will ever get the bow quiet enough that the deer can't hear it.

·
Bart Harmeling
3,542 Posts
Adding stuff to your string like extra or bigger silencers, rubber tubing, and yarn will probably quiet the bow. But it will also add weight and you will lose some of your speed.

I have found that Flemish strings that have a sharp taper through the splice area are very quiet and require only a minimum of silencer attached. Rick Barbee makes this type of string and SBD strings are also made like this.

Before you order one or make one, make sure you know what BH gives you the quietest shot. Then get the exact length you need.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Adding stuff to your string like extra or bigger silencers, rubber tubing, and yarn will probably quiet the bow. But it will also add weight and you will lose some of your speed.

I have found that Flemish strings that have a sharp taper through the splice area are very quiet and require only a minimum of silencer attached. Rick Barbee makes this type of string and SBD strings are also made like this.

Before you order one or make one, make sure you know what BH gives you the quietest shot. Then get the exact length you need.

I have a set of beaver balls and a set of yarn on the string. As far as Flemish strings I've been making my own for over 20 years. Yes, the strings do need to have a taper to them. The taper is also to lock the ends in place and prevent fraying.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Your bow sounds much like my own, which I feel is not that bad.
If I want it a bit quieter I might try raising brace hight a couple of turns just to see how that effects things.
My own bow is pretty sensitive to brace height as far as sound goes.
I can raise or lower by around 4 turns either way without effecting my arrow flight much but I can usually hear a difference.
Something I found a while ago is pure wool silencers seem to make less noise than acrylics or blends.
The noise I'm talking about is the FLUPP type of sound the puff makes it's self as it passes through the air.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have found Predators to be faster and louder than most bows. Having said that, what is the weight of each of your arrow set ups? I have several bows set up and depending on the bow and arrow set up, each is set up differently. Finding the correct brace height is the most important thing. Most just have small cat whiskers balls set up in tandem on each end of the string as Ryan Sanpei demonstrates on Youtube. This makes most of my bows pretty quiet even shooting lighter arrows. If they need any extra quieting, I put felt in the string grooves. Surprising to me my quietest recurve I have is my Tradtech Black Magic riser with Winex long limbs. I shoot a 477 grain (9.0 gpp) arrows and my friend swears it is quieter than my longbow.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was shooting 550gr total weight arrow and the bow was very quiet. These arrows are 465gr if I remember correctly. Naturally a lighter arrow will make a more noisy bow.
I think raising the brace height and padding the limb tips is good advice and I will try both.
I could just go back to the 550gr, 5575's but these 3555's are shooting soooo much better.

·
Super Moderator
2,769 Posts
I would try moving the brace height up and down a lot. Sometimes you get a surprise. Once you get close four turns one way or the other can make quite a distance. I have one bow that really snaps at me if I get it just four turns too high. - lbg

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Traditional Bowhunter did an article comparing various string silencers, a few years back. As I recall cat whiskers did the best job, although they cost a few FPS in speed. I prefer 'Woolly Whispers.'

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Although I think they are terribly ugly, I recently picked up a set of 50# Blackmax limbs that had the Simms Limb-saver silencers on them. They are much quieter than the other two sets of limbs without them. I also found that the rubber cat whiskers had an edge over the Tarantulas. The best results were achieved by moving the location of string silencers. Heterodyning formula did the trick for mine. Measure total distance between where the string contacts the limb on your strung recurve. Divide by "4" and "3". These numbers are now the distance from the contact point for the string/limb to where you place the silencers. Use the longer (3) one for the bottom limb.
If the span is 60", 60/3= 20 and 60/4= 15.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.