Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not had a lot of experience with G nocks.
Bought some a while back, they are white.
Cracked open 12 new-old-stock Easton Redlines, and 4 have red nocks, 4-white, and 4-black.
Is there a size difference?
I can measure, I have dial calipers, but the nocks' gaps are not very big, to measure, so I am asking to see if it's a "known" thing.
Thanks in advance.....

·
Premium Member
12,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Measured not in the "narrowing" but in the deeper part of nock opening, mine seem to be the larger or the two sizes.....both red & white.
Hard to get a real accurate "feel" with the dial calipers on flimsy plastic parts.
With a real light touch I was getting .096".....pretty consistently.
Thanks all for the responses.

·
Premium Member
12,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys, see ZULU's thread today 07-01-2014 "the dreaded Mr Hood"
http://tradtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47890
Redlines were new in plastic, different colored G nocks, and he says they are different sizes.
My thoughts still run towards SOME of the colors being size-specific.
Not because I am smart or anything, but because it makes sense, here.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Steve, get out your drill bits and figure out which fits your knock throat best(back end/smooth portion), then measure that with your calipers. I learned that from Jinks, just passing it on.

·
Premium Member
12,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kenn, good point, thanks....
I can make it work, but my main question is - WHY would they send out 12 new shafts with 3 colors of nocks in 2 different sizes?
I wondered if it was standard practice?
I think they have not made REDLINEs in a few years, but surely SOMEONE here regularly used them?
Me, not, I got these from someone here on Tradtalk 2-3 years ago, new still in plastic, cain't recall who I got them from......

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I've not used Redlines but I'm a fan of g-nocks in my ACCs.

The large groove g-nocks have a 0.098" groove and are available in all colors. They are slightly dished out on the sides and the index tab is at the extreme back of the nock.

The small groove g-nocks have a 0.088" groove and are available in fewer colors (Lancaster). They do not have the dished sides, are slightly shorter, and have the index tab at the front of the nock, up against the arrow.

Once you know the differences they are very easy to tell apart by looking at them.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Try the Beiter insert nocks, they blow G-nocks out of the water in my mind.
Very few things actually make a big difference in shooting and Beiter nocks are one of them.

-Grant

·
Registered
985 Posts
From Easton tech notes....Starting with the G nock, Easton took the same approach of single cavity bagging of the nocks. As with the Beiter nock, every single nock in a dozen bag of Easton target nocks such as G nocks comes from the same mold cavity- a process that helps ensure a minimum degree of variation from nock to nock. All G nocks are produced from premium Bayer polycarbonate.

From Bayer polycarbonate spec sheet...."Type and quantity of pigments or additives used to obtain opaque colors and special effects can affect material properties"...... (as can moisture control, melt & cooling temp, cycle time ect...)

From personal experience... Cleaning up injection molding dies for a color change is a PITA. My guess is nock dies are pretty much dedicated to a single color for their life. You may get a dozen nocks in a bag from the same cavity but the odds of getting another bag from the same cavity 6 month from now approach zero.
About 10 years ago I used a good set of pin gauges to check 8 different colors of the same nock which had a nominal groove size of 0.120". Within any single color the size was good +-0.001". Across the colors it was -0.002" to +0.004" with only the white and ruby actually being 0.012".

So you've got umpteen million nocks out there. It's a sure bet they aren't coming from the same cavity. Given it was the same cavity, color additives and a number of other variables will change the finished product dimensions. It's surprising the QC is as good as it is.

I just buy one color in bags of 100 and when i get a new bag check a few to see if they're close to what the previous bag was.

·
Spearhead
3,581 Posts
One more thing after thinking on this.

There is a nock off (no pun intended) nock, it's called a big gee, or big ge nock it's a bit cheaper, if my memory serves me right? it was a softer plastic and not a consistent throat size. I tried them and wasn't happy with them. I threw them away. I don't trash archery gear very often, that's how disappointed I was with them.

Chad

·
Registered
985 Posts
color the size was good +-0.001". Across the colors it was -0.002" to +0.004" with only the white and ruby actually being 0.012".
Correcting mistake... I put extra zeros in my previous post.... :sbrug:

should read...
color the size was good +-0.01". Across the colors it was -0.02" to +0.04" with only the white and ruby actually being 0.12".

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Do the Beiter nocks fit into the Easton UNI bushing or do you need to remove it?
They make nocks to fit either the G or Super nock size.

I believe the 12/2 is the G-uni with large throat.

-Grant

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
This was the best photo I could take.

The 3 on the left are the ones from stevelong. The one on the right is a Bohning F nock (I think).

Only the 3rd one of the G Nocks fitted the string. The Bohning one also fits the string. I am comparing them to the fit of my GT nocks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hiya, I ve used g nock on a few bows, large groove where made for compound, and small for recurve (I think its thst way round as I remember lol) I swapped em out for beiter nocks on my recurve and accunocks on the compound, I shoot wood on my flatbow.

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts