Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who have won, or have been near the top of, national tournaments - how much practice/training do you put in, say on average?

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I haven't won the bling yet and I only shoot 3D but, with in 3D I do OK. When I'm in the swing of it I shoot twice a day morning and evening - my guess would be 100-150 good arrows a day. Lately I've been shooting bale to keep everything in shape but, not much serious work.

Matt

·
Registered
623 Posts
I am no top dog but I did pretty well in AMTRAD at Redding (1st) and the Field Nationals (2nd) last year (mostly because the Top Dogs shot other divisions).

I was shooting 3 full field rounds a week for the month before both of those. On days that I didn't go up the mountain to the field range I usually shot about 60 arrows between 10 and 25 yards.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I believe Dewayne "the bowdog" Martin said he shoots 300 arrows a day. Me I'm a pup on the porch at 50-100. Some days more, some days less.

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
I'm no top dog either but if healthy and the temps are closer to zero I try and shoot about 50-100 a day but also do lots of drills with a 30# jelly bow.

·
Registered
245 Posts
In addition to the number of arrows, how long does that amount of practice take? 100 arrows over an hour? 200 in three hours? Etc?

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
In the Winter I shoot maybe 2-3 times a week between 100-150 arrows per session, Summer 4-5 days a week and 100-300 arrows per session, a few weeks before a big tourney I will shoot everyday.

If I dont feel like shooting I wont, I shoot lots mostly because I love shooting not because I trying to win a tourney, the wins are just the icing on the cake.

When I practice I try and have a specific focus in my practice and not just flinging arrows for the sake of it, I try and identify my weaknesses in Form and distances and work on improving them, I check my Form with Kats or use a video camera weekly.

Practice falls into several specific areas, shooting practice Field/3D rounds for score, building mental/physical stamina into my shot sequence, working to understand the reasons for shooting errors and know how to fix those shooting issues quickly in a tourney.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Back when I was competing,I'd spend 3-5 hrs daily in practice.....with lots of breaks to tinker with bows and stuff. Spending more time on parts of shot sequence I didn't do well, or distances I was weak...no idea how many arrows, since I didn't keep count

·
Super Moderator
2,644 Posts
When I was trying to get really good, beginning this time of year I would shoot around 80 arrows a day six days a week on the field or hunter courses of 14 targets. I would rest on Thursday to be practiced but still fresh for Sunday competition. I would also from time to time shoot two 14 target rounds of warm up plus 112 arrows, to make sure I was prepared for that many in competition. I rarely shot more in a week, wanting to keep top focus and form and not over do. I would do this for several months, the competitive season. After a couple of years of that I was able to stay sharp with half or fewer as many arrows in a week. But I often shot more than the minimum because it is such a pleasant and stress relieving pastime.

Come late summer I would back off competitive practice, maybe prepare for hunting season or for general sport archery. In winter I would switch to a light target rig, work on form practice and shoot a few indoor matches. The target rig is tuned to the same point-on distance and trajectory to 60 yards so I can switch back and forth easily.

Even during the heavy development years the quality of the practice is more important than the quantity. Much more. Many kinds of practice. - lbg

Reactions: ben maher

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
I was shooting 6 days a week, over 100 arrows per day (often way more on weekends), with no weeks off. I finally crashed. Now I am focusing on fitness and shooting together. I am shooting less and getting better results. You can over train. We do not do this for a living and cannot compare our practice schedules to those at the Olympic Training Center. I am not sure where I will eventually end up as I work out the balance between gym work and archery practice. It is clear to me that the work put into good fitness, more than makes up for the fewer arrows that I shoot. I suspect that I will shoot about 4 days per week, Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday (league), plus one other day, depending on the time of year (i.e. daylight savings time). My main emphasis now is fitness. I will slowly start changing my emphasis to shooting as I near the time for important tournaments. I am reevaluating what I compete in this year, so I am not sure what the important tournaments are going to turn out to be. I will be shooting the IBO West Coast Traditional Shoot, but will not be archery ready. I am not going to rush the preparation process.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts