Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Experimenting often with different limbs and different risers presents me with a dilemma...how to determine proper string length...or at least close enough to adjust without excessive twists... on the first try. Dealing primarily with Warf adds somewhat to the problem.

I've already built my string jig for endless loop and I'm going to order string materials and servings this afternoon. I was wondering if anyone had tried some form of test string....maybe a stout adjustable cord that would let you brace, change lengths to get in the proper brace height range, and then measure nock-to-nock for a more accurate place to start.

I guess my question is two-fold. Is a test string feasible and if not, how do you determine proper string length without a string that's working well already to measure for the next?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I've thought about making two small endless loop strings which I could then attach a ratchet strap inbetween. Brace the bow using the ratchet and then simply unbrace the usual way. Put the test string on the jig and you will likely get a string that has just about the right number of twists.

Conversely something using a section of plastic covered clothes line and some u-bolts could work as well. This reminds me that I need to get some strings built in the next while.

-Grant

Reactions: longrifle346

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I tried my longest string on my Black Bear with TT longbow limbs. It's close and gave me a good brace height but with virtually no twist. Center-to-center of the limb bolts on my Rambo is another 3/4" longer still and I'm putting extra-long longbow limbs on it ...that string puts me way out of what I'm looking in brace height.

I like the ratchet strap idea and I've got plenty of them. I'll use the old string to make a couple of short endless loop strings and build a new one long enough to allow for the proper number of twists on the Bear and to get a better starting measurement on the Rambo. I've got a 17" Titan with medium recurve limbs that needs a string as well.

I'm going to buy a 1/4 pound spool of 8190 and a spool of Halo serving this afternoon. What I'll spend on materials will be just about what I'd spend to buy three strings and should set me up for awhile.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rusty I agree. I got nothing in the way of traditional shops around me, I've had to learn to make the majority of my kit and string building has always been high on my list of things to learn on my path to self-sufficiency. I've just been procrastinating.....

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little help from the pros please! 17" Titan, medium limbs. 8190 string material, Halo serving. Built a test string, took the bow to 8" brace height and measured nock groove to nock groove. 56" on the nose. Now, expecting final brace height to be between 8" to 8 1/2" including twists how long of a string should I set my jig to build?

Should I add 2 1/2" for the nock groove wrappings, another half inch for twists, and make a 59" string or stretch the string on the jig and measure overall?

I think I just answered my own question....but I'd like to know if my formula would work.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Should be a 60AMO string. So just a pinch under 57" would be what I'd do. Then again I don't like many twists.

-Grant

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You were right Grant, and thanks. I don't like to start out with a lot of twists either. I set up the jig, pulled the test string as tight as I could possibly string it and it measured just a hair below 57".

·
Registered
996 Posts
Longrifle,

I've not been having much luck with halo serving on 8190, maybe its me, but I cant keep the center serving from slipping and separating, and I've been using Halo .014. I've tried double serving and Teflon tape. Not having this trouble with other serving material. Maybe someone else has some experience with this?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Longrifle,

I've not been having much luck with halo serving on 8190, maybe its me, but I cant keep the center serving from slipping and separating, and I've been using Halo .014. I've tried double serving and Teflon tape. Not having this trouble with other serving material. Maybe someone else has some experience with this?
Have you stripped the wax off thoroughly? I find that BCY product arrives with way too much wax.

-Grant

Reactions: UrbanDeerSlayer

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
After running your fingers up and down the string to warm up the wax I wrap a piece of serving around it, pull tight and move it up and down the string. This will make the string much more round and you will be shocked at how much wax comes out. Almost all of the settling in that you get with modern strings is actually just the wax getting forced out. Since I started doing this I've stopped losing any noticeable BH with a fresh unstretched string.

-Grant

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, I can't thank you guys enough. I've been doing my own center servings and serving in my nocking points for some time but, again with much help from folks here on the forum, I just built my first endless loop string and overall I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. 14 strands of 8190, .019 Halo serving...even hit my target brace height of 8 1/4" with minimal twists.

I could use some practice in putting my end loops together, cosmetically I wasn't satisfied with one but I broke it down, reserved it, and it came out much better the second time. I guess that'll come easier as I do more of them.

Grant I tried the tip you suggested in your previous post. I worked the string over well with a piece of leather to heat it up some and then wrapped some serving around it and worked the wax out. You were correct...I was amazed at the amount that came off of it and how well it rounded the string. I've mounted it on the bow and will let it sit overnight to settle....

One down, two to go!

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Make sure you are careful with the leather you can overheat a string quickly with it. That is why I use bare fingers, if it's too hot for my fingers then it's too hot for the string. Wax doesn't need much heat to get soft and squeeze out.

-Grant

·
Bart Harmeling
3,545 Posts
Rick, Teflon tape is very malleable. When serving is wrapped over T tape it is pressed into the surface of the string and becomes very stable.

UDS, Make sure you anchor the tag end of the serving between the strands of your string before you wrap, and make sure you wrap your serving in the same direction that your string has been twisted.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, the second string, a 16 strand for my longbow, went much more smoothly and a bit quicker. End loops and their transitions were much better this time. This test string is the bomb.

I've used Teflon tape many times on skinnier strings under the center serving to help with nock fit. It works well as a shim and I've never noticed any issues. In fact, when I reserve, it has blended into the string to the point where it's hard to notice. Now I'm wondering if it wouldn't also help to pad the end loops in the groove....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.