Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I anchor with the standard "C" mandible hand position, 3 under, thumb knuckle behind the jaw, index finger in the corner of the mouth.

I've noticed that when I get my thumb knuckle behind the jaw I let my jaw go somewhat slack, don't know why I do it could be a bad habit or natural body mechanics kicking in, it just feels more natural. This "slack jaw" isn't my mouth open, mouth is still closed, but my teeth aren't touching there is a space.

I'm wondering is this proper technique?

I think keeping my teeth clinched together would be better for accuracy since having the jaw float like that might introduce movement. The only reason I don't clench my teeth is that it feels real awkward.

Thoughts?

Should teeth touch at anchor?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Don’t fight natural. If natural for you is to keep the mouth shut but teeth are not touching, use this. Under pressure/stress you will forget to do it because our brain will choose the less energy consuming path to get the job done. And that path is what you do naturally.
I use secondary anchor index on the root of the canine tooth on the upper jaw to eliminate “mobile” anchors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I dont think it really matters as long as you do everything exactly the same way every time. Everyone has their own form and as long as you follow a few basic rules, your personal way of doing things may be different than others. As long as you are shooting well, that's fine. If not then you need to look at things to change.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I can't imagine there being much difference in jaw position whether you clench your teeth or just relax your jaw. If you are concerned, maybe try to convert that corner of the mouth anchor to one based upon an upper tooth?

·
Registered
479 Posts
i shoot with my mouth open because my lip gets an ulcer in my inner lip from a prior surgery and lip reconstruction. if my teeth are only slightly apart the jaw has no effect on my anchor . when my mouth is open wide the muscle of the jaw does slightly change my anchor( which i had to get used to.) my situation is an unusual case but i figured i would give my finding on what i discovered about jaw position
it sucks because if i forget and shoot 1 arrow without opening enough i have blood on my tab and on my face a fat lip and an ulcer for about a week and it messes with my shooting. it's a strange thing to add to your shooting sequence. i learned to open when i settle in because i was concerned how funny it looks before draw :) when at anchor it is barely noticeable. no one has said anything but a coach who helps me.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Three under with a tab if your bow has an adjustable tiller ( even tiller is best with this technique ). Draw hand index finger against your upper cheek, hard into your upper teeth / gum and up under your cheek bone. This part of your skull does not move and is easy to draw into. Coming to full draw your index finger will be curled around the string ( string in the first finger joint ) and will stop on your face under your nose and against the front of your upper teeth / gum.

The aforementioned technique will place the arrow & string in front of your eye. You must keep your mouth open ( lower jaw lowered ) to allow your draw hand thumb base to swing into the open area under your upper teeth. You must keep your head up maintaining proper upright posture. If you start shooting low & right ( RH archer ) you are tipping your head down to the right and collapsing your bow arm.

This technique provides for a proper back tension release where your draw hand ends directly behind your head after release. If your hand ends up out to the side you have " plucked ".

Give it a try, it has served me well for 60 plus years...:2cents:

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
A relaxed jaw can help reduce overall tension and especially neck tension that can cause issues. That said I anchor on an upper tooth and my teeth are barely in contact with each other.

·
Registered
240 Posts
What is "Proper" is repeatable consistently.
" Proper " is what consistently works for the individual. Various techniques yield consistent results for the majority of individuals.

Some examples of " Proper " could be:

String in a comfortable position on your fingers. Draw hand located on your face against a stable, defined location ( like I described ). Hand, wrist inline with your arm. Good mechanical body alignment, good posture. Breathing techniques that provide consistency. Achieve the " wedge " check out ArcheryWinchester.com on YouTube. AW shows olympic style however, the form relates directly to longbows and recurves. I shoot mainly bare bow and AW's techniques work great for me.

Each person has different facial features and body configurations. The individual must find what works for them. Suggestions offer the individual clues as to techniques to explore.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I shoot with a relaxed jaw, and I have two points to locate my anchor. My middle finger is in the corner of my mouth, and the knuckle on my thumb is under my cheekbone.

·
Super Moderator
2,647 Posts
I never really liked the word 'anchor', too rigid. I think relaxation in the face is important. And I think two or three gentle touch points make for a good reference. One might be on or under the cheekbone, which does not move. - lbg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts