Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Hate my first post is a question but, here it goes. My stepson is wanting to get into archery. He is 6'2" with a 71" wing span. What would be a good length recurve for him? He would like to shoot around 45lbs. Thanks.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Hi Renegade and welcome to TT
Sorry I can't help with your question as recurves aren't my thing, but some of the great folks here will be along soon and give you all the help and advice you and your stepson need.
BTW posting a question and asking for advice in a first post is absolutley fine.

·
Bart Harmeling
3,384 Posts
Welcome to TT. There is a rule of thumb for determining draw length. You take the wingspan measurement and divide by 2.5. Not scientific, but it works pretty well for many. Using the rule your stepson would have a DL of 28.4". I think you'll find the consensus here on TT is to recommend beginners start with longer bows with very manageable draw weight. You might think in terms of a takedown bow with lighter limbs for starting, but could be upgraded with heavier limbs as needed. Steve asks a good question above and I'd also ask what type of budget does he/you have?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve. He will use the bow to learn to shoot and then hunt with.

Nuthatch. His budget is up to $400 dollars.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Welcome to the forum! With that budget I'd sure look at a Warf, If you're patient you can have a good Warf riser, a nice set of light limbs, and a dozen arrows too. With that draw length a 21" Black Bear or Rambo is a start that you can easily build on and add a heavier set of limbs as he progresses.

·
Bart Harmeling
3,384 Posts
A 62" bow would be a length that is manageable in the woods for hunting, and long enough for a smooth comfortable draw at 28" to 29".

Warf is a good suggestion. Here's a recent thread using a Black Bear riser and Sage limbs. Certainly within your budget and easy to upgrade as Sage limbs are widely available. A Sage riser and limbs is also a good 62" bow. An ILF Warf would let your stepson choose from a huge selection of limbs. If he wants to buy new, take a look at the 21" Hoyt Excel. It takes ILF limbs too. Lots of good ILF limbs for under $200.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
No shorter than 64" or heavier then 30#.

Preferrably I'd say go for a 66" bow (21" riser and long limbs) with a set of 25# limbs. It is literally impossible to start with limbs which are too light.

-Grant

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help y'all. We now have enough info to start his adventure.
Thanks for the warm welcome. Looking forward to reading and maybe even sharing some with y'all.

·
Premium Member
12,112 Posts
WELCOME to the forum, lots of good advice above.
Start lighter then work up......30-35 and then 40 after he has the FORM down and has done the learning reps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You could look at the samick sage. It's a 62" bow. $150 for the bow in a variety of weights. You can buy stronger limbs as he progresses,also he could find a metal riser later on to make a warf. You can get him outfitted with all shooting accessories and a dozen arrows for that $400. Then if it's more than just a passing interest you can upgrade later on. Welcome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts