Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
New here on tradtalk and this is my first post. I have a pse coyote that is 35lbs and I bought it for bowfishing but I was wondering if it is convertible to ILF limbs? I have never messed with ILF bows but would like to try and try stringwalking for hunting. I usually hunt with a zipper take down 3 fingers under and use a gap at bow/shotgun barrel technique. Is stringwalking doable for hunting?

Thanks
Jon

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Never done one. Measure down from the limb bolt center to the bottom of the pocket, what is that length? Take a picture of the riser pocket with the limb removed and post it.

Lots of guys stringwalk successfully hunting and is very viable method.:shooting:

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum, we have a lot of friendly folk on here that are very willing to answer your questions.

Sam Dunham will know if a PSE Coyote can/should be converted to ILF. Sam beat my post!

Yes, you can stringwalk with hunting, hopefully Rusty Craine will chime in on that topic.

If you already use the Zipper for hunting, you may be better off sticking with that bow.

Others will chime in soon.

Again, welcome!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I owned a Coyote for a short time but never really gelled with it.
I had two sets of limbs let go on me,both replaced with no issues by PSE.
I ended up selling it dirt cheap to a close friend and he's now been shooting it for about 8 years and absolutely loves it.
I've often wondered if I should of kept it and tried to convert it to ILF,so I'd also like to know what the verdict will be on just how possible a conversion would be.

Good luck.
John.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
the Coyote was preceded by the Patriot and a bowfishng special called the Kingfisher, using the same riser. they were equipped with bolt down solid glass (no wood) limbs of minimal quality. I sent a Patriot riser out to Bob Gordon to see if it could be Warfed.

It could, but just barely. that riser was basically a scaled down hoyt, about 3/4 scale. the pocket area was just barely long enough to retain the ILF fittings. Bob and I agreed that it was just too thin through the throat of the grip for anything more than about 35# limbs. I later gave it to a locaL youth archery program.

Double check with Sam, the Coyote might be enough different to make it work better. But IF the riser is still the same as the Patriot/Kingfisher I had, I'd dump it and stick to the Zipper. As much as I like GOOD warfs, your Zipper is a much better bow than the Patriot/Kingfisher/coyote(?)

Reactions: Sam Dunham

·
thumbless stringwalker
1,719 Posts
IMHO it will not work as it is a reflex riser.
Martin

·
thumbless stringwalker
1,719 Posts
Sorry, thanks Steve, I mean reflex.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,821 Posts
on the other hand, if you like the Coyote and IF YOU SHOOT IT WELL as it is, nothing wrong with WARFing it to ILF, you should still shoot it well (ILF) and like it.
We're not all created equal, one guy's great bow is another's "I can't shoot it".....

·
Barebow recurve
947 Posts
It is a difficult bow to shoot well, IMHO. Reflex riser makes it squirrelly. Good for short range, but that's about it. Works great with an NAP Center Rest Flipper.

I would not bother warfing, just order another set of Coyote limbs in the weight you want. Cost is about a hundred bucks or so, not bad. My local archery shop was able to get them for me without issue, and even had several in stock.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Welcome to the forum, docjon.

IMHO, if you want to go ILF, you would be better served by selling the Coyote and selecting a different riser.

However, if you are determined to convert your Coyote, send photos of the limb pockets if to Sam. He's our resident warfmaster and will give you excellent advice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone,
I will just keep it like it is then. I would like a warf someday. I am hunting for a short recurve like a Shrew for ground blind hunting in my double bulls. My zipper is 62inch and not doable in it. I draw 29inch and shoot 3 under. I want 56inch length. What do you think?

thanks
jon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts