Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In full disclosure I'm really new to the whole recurve game. I'm trying to tune my new PSA, 46# @ 28", drawn to about 28", tillered for 3 under. I bareshaft tuned (or am trying) and cut 500 axis down until they were at 28.75" with 75gr inserts and 125gr tips. I am getting slightly nock low flight but left right is very good with fletched shafts and at point of aim. At 15-20 yards bareshafts are with fletched (but slightly nock low) and at 40 yards my bareshafts are inline with fletched arrows but hit high. I am, however 3/4" nock high in my current tune and a pretty high wrist (lower wrist makes the arrow far more nock low). Is this normal? I also am getting fletching contact regardless of orientation and shield/parabolic cut, even with a full length 500 shaft and the same point weight. I've already played with toothpicks underneath the strikeplate and shelf it doesn't seem to do a thing except give me more nock low when under the shelf pad or worse arrow flight when under the strikeplate. Currently I have nothing under the strikeplate (factory BW calf hair). Fletched arrow flight looks very good when I do my part and I'm not tired, and broadheads (Magnus) land with field tips at 40 yards when I do my part.

My concerns are the nock height/nock low flight and the fletching clearance. Obviously the results are reasonably good, but I'm wondering if there is something I can do to improve things? I also understand a lot of this must be me and not the bow, but I'm really working on solid technique with backtension and the KSL method using Kaminski and Clum teachings.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Don't worry about nock high or low as long as the bareshafts group with fletched. You don't tell us how high "high" is at 40 yards, but I would say you are ready to hunt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't worry about nock high or low as long as the bareshafts group with fletched. You don't tell us how high "high" is at 40 yards, but I would say you are ready to hunt.
I'd say bareshafts hit about a foot or maybe a 1.5 feet high at 40, and you can see them traveling nock low. Much higher than at 15-20 yards where they are right with the fletched shafts when I do my part.

Thanks, I didn't know if the fletching contact was a big deal. FWIW, the full length 500s actually fly a touch nock high, but are a good 8-12" right of where I want to hit and fletched shafts.

·
Super curve shooter
128 Posts
Sounds to me like you just need to move your knock point up a little more. it is OK to be above 3/4 if you’re shooting three fingers under. most of my stuff tunes Best between 3/4 and 7/8 a lot of other people do as well. Some guys get away with going lower but I am certainly not one. Raising your knock Point up will also help alleviate the contact. And if for some reason it doesn’t work you can always move it back down, however I am pretty sure it will work. It may look a little odd when the arrow is on the string at brace but don’t worry about that. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As @Jeffro83 says, in my personal experience shooting three under, I need a high nock for correct flight. And a below nock to help prevent arrow nock slip at draw.

Works great for me.

·
Super curve shooter
128 Posts
As @Jeffro83 says, in my personal experience shooting three under, I need a high nock for correct flight. And a below nock to help prevent arrow nock slip at draw.

Works great for me.
Good catch on the lower nock point. I definitely should’ve thought of that. I guess that’s a perfect example of why two heads are better than one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts