Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious why all long bows (at least all of them that I have seen) use Flemish Twist strings instead of endless loops. Is there a reason for this? It has been my very limited experience that endless loops are more durable.

Thanks for your input!

Alan

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul,

Like I said, it is only my limited experience, but it looks like that they use different materials and that the Flemish don't use end servings. With the servings on the endless loop I get less wear at the tip where the string and the limb rub.

I don't know if that is just the strings that I received with the bow or if it is typical.

Alan

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I use Flemish twist for no other reason than I think it looks cool.
I have used endless on both my longbows and recurves,but to tell the truth I notice no difference in performance or feel between them.
Flemish just looks cooler to me .

John.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I use endless loop ! for what that's worth. Cal
So he can get beat by flemish string users in Texas :)

A flemish string properly made is twice as strong as an endless loop string. A 14 strand endless has 7 strands around the nock, a 14 strand flemish has 14. In adjusting your brace height a flemish twists up easier and the string is properly rounded. The flemish string does not have serving that gets frayed and undone in the loops.

Thru a chrono, a d 97 string is a few fps second faster than the same d97 endless string.

Lots of pluses for a flemish, not so many for an endless

Reactions: aerosenfield

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I've never used an endless string,
I never tried to use one,
but I'll tell you this right now...
I'd rather use than break one.

[ sorry guys/gals this just popped into my mind as I read the replies...] :highfive::amen:

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Bob,
Why would a flemmish string be faster through the chono than an endless string if they are both constructed using the same material, same number of strands, same serving, and same nock points? I doubt that there is any appreciable weight difference in the strings even out at the limb tips. If that's the case, I can't understand there being any performance edge for either string type. Could it be that a few fps is more likely the variation to be expected between otherwise identical strings?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bowmania - thank you - the answer was right in front of my nose - literally! Thank you everyone for the feedback.

I agree that Flemish look really cool, so now I have to learn to make them I guess....

But I know how to make an endless loop and since I only have one string color, it is what I will use in a pinch!

Alan

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Bob,
Why would a flemmish string be faster through the chono than an endless string if they are both constructed using the same material, same number of strands, same serving, and same nock points? I doubt that there is any appreciable weight difference in the strings even out at the limb tips. If that's the case, I can't understand there being any performance edge for either string type. Could it be that a few fps is more likely the variation to be expected between otherwise identical strings?
Dave, I dont have a valid answer that makes sense. I know we used two different bows. A das riser with winex limbs, and a bear super kodiak. Used a three ply d97 with 15 strands and a 14 strand d97 endless on the das. Used same strand count with B50 on the bear. Both bows were 45 lb and we used ce express 20/40 arrows cut 28 inch long with 125 grain point. The das was consistently 3-5 fps faster with the flemish. The bear was 5-6 fps faster.

Maybe the twist in the string acts as a spring, or absorbs vibration better for better use of the bows energy. I dont know

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i use flemish when i hunt because they are quieter in my opinion. the hard serving at the nock ends makes noise on my carbon backed longbow. the flemish is silent.
Thanks Larry, not being a hunter, I would never have thought about that.

Alan

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
I use use endless loop on my Samick's, and Flemish on my new Falco. I have not used Flemish long enough to comment on its quality, but I can say that I still have my original endless loop string on my Samick longbow after four years, and the ends are doing fine. The only thing I had to do was redo the center serving. Until this year, I did not shoot the longbow regularly. I figured I have at least a year of real shooting on the string. I think what you use is up to you. If I were to make my own string I would put endless loop on my bows. So far, I have decided to buy Flemish twist strings for my Falco longbow. I currently have a Rick Barbee string on the bow, with another Rick Barbee spare, and the Falco stock string, which is also very good. Noise is not an issue for me. The only reason I would put silencers on a bow is if I wanted to slow it down, as I did with my indoor compound finger bow.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
By the way Hank, my new Falco bow should be showing up some time this month!

Alan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.