Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thinking is that if I'm going to create an ILF riser I want the pocket adjustable. Another thing I found is that if you make it adjustable it helps cover a lot of minor issues during the modification process. Things don't have to be perfectly straight or centered exactly because when you are done you can adjust the pocket to align properly. So here is the pocket I wanted to build it is basically 1.5" aluminum square tube cut in half that slips over the end of a milled riser. two set screws on either side adjust the pocket right or left with the whole pocket swiveling on the limb bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It seemed like a reasonable design so I had an old bear bow that I thought I would chop it up and see what I could make. It started out looking something like this brown one (only it was green) I didn't like the profile so I slimmed it up a bit milled off the edges of the cast pocket bases and added my concept pockets. It works perfectly. I haven't decided yet if I want to add sides to the pockets. I probably will but left them off so you could see the creation.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I documented all the steps but this forum seems to give you very limited amount of space for photos and I have already exceeded my limit. I haven't read through all the docs yet it is possible I'll get more space as I'm on here longer?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Looks like a very cool idea but seems like a lot of work. Still... Clever.

For photos I just use Photobucket.com
No limit for size or amount. A bit of a pain to upload to a host site and then link but it works.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
Keep at it, i like it. I'm all for Alternative thinking and you could take it one step further and make the limb pad angle adjustable . :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What holds it down or keeps it from clapping when you shoot(on limb bolt end)?
For the initial; design the limb bolts are all the way in and the left right adjustment is clamping the riser but in the other design drawing I did I have another bolt going into the riser to hold it in place.

I'm glad you mentioned it because I haven't actually shot it yet and I'll listen for the slapping.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like a very cool idea but seems like a lot of work. Still...
Thanks for the photo bucket suggestion, I see why people do that now.

In this particular case it was a hell of a lot of work. but my thought was to use them more on the older styled machined risers you know the ones that are 3/4" aluminum extrusion with the bolt on limb pockets. In that case you should be able to remove the existing pocket and then just slide these pockets on and be done. that's assuming you can find a riser that has 16- 20 degree limb pockets. PSE and Martin looked like they might have some but I haven't confirmed that yet

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
What is the width in the channel?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the width in the channel?
OD is 1.5" wall thickness is .25 ID is then 1".

I bought it from Metals Depot, I prefer online Metals but they have a smaller selection.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Just about wide enough to put on a wood riser as well.

I prefer OM as well, I can pick up easily from their Seattle Depot.

Grant

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.