Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wayne's (the Other DWS) account of his experience mounting a laser sight on a bow, got me thinking about a simple experiment to prove once and for all that aiming is of secondary importance to form, feel, rhythm, and timing...

Take a laser pen light and tape it to your riser...point riser at target...draw...and see how still you can hold the laser dot...

You won't be able to hold it nearly as still as you think, in fact, I think you'll find you are able to shoot more accurately than you can hold the dot on target...

That's not to say a sight doesn't help your accuracy...but it helps more as a form check, mental security blanket...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me amend that slightly...that's if we're talking about 20 yard indoor...if we're talking about known, longer distances outdoor a sight or aiming technique is obviously going to help with vertical accuracy.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
when I shot compounds with sights. The trick was not to try to hold the pin steady was imposible for me. but id let it flutter around the spot I wanted. and id still get the X. dunno, It worked for me. i guess some guys maybe able to hold a pin rock steady I dunno.

·
Old guy
2,574 Posts
:lol:
Comes down to knowing when and how to pull the trigger. Now doesn’t it:2cents:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris, kind of my point too...I shoot a lot better "timing" my release with my focus on my sight picture/target, rather than picking a spot and "burning a hole" though the whole draw, anchor, release...

To me, there's a pejoritive connotation to the term "aiming"...stiff, calculated, structured, rigid...all the fuel your subconscious needs to cook up a big dose of "TP."

And there are analogous terms in nearly sport to support that...

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
jipp,

With 80% letoff it is easier to hold dead on even for the fraction of a second it takes to make the release.

And I have strapped a lazer pointer to one of my bows and it is very hard to maitain a steady hold on the spot. I used velcro to mount the first trial on with and it was hard to align but it was for experimentation purposes only.

With about any sight it is a fraction of a second between the perfect pin point and the release or the pull of the trigger.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Van Fl, absolutely...

How often do you hear top shooters talk about "trigger control"...or breathing...versus, "I need to aim better." Or, "I just had a bad day aiming..."

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
You think maybe that's why the SRF works so well for so many? That a site is just a reference for when everything is aligned properly and framing can work pretty well also? Just a thought.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tuffshot, I agree with you...

Just wondering why when shooting Trad bows with no letoff, some people hold as long as 3-4, even 5 seconds at full draw? Guess it must be to establish some rhythm/flow to their hold? Because I can't imagine it either help, or take that long to hold the bow "on target."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vermonster...I DEFINITELY think that's one of the reasons the SRF works so well for many people...absolutely...

There are other's too...you can use it more effectively than pin sights with both eyes open...and if you are cross eye dominant (to a certain extent)...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Strictly target...though I'd say the same thing applies in hunting situations where distance plays little role...so, for the mythical 17.3 I think it applies as well...

Once you get into judging trajectory, marked and unmarked distances...argument gets more complicated...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Though I suppose you could say that a sight...more than an aiming system...allows the archer to relax because picking out a spot or a tuft of hair on a brown target is much easier...though again, think that's complicating things needlessly...

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
That post was in reference to the time held at full draw. I've gone way over 4 seconds when hunting, well over 20 matter of fact. Of course I was brought up with if you couldn't hold it at full draw for at least 10 seconds it was to heavy a bow for you to hunt with.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Atlantis said:
Tuffshot, I agree with you...

Just wondering why when shooting Trad bows with no letoff, some people hold as long as 3-4, even 5 seconds at full draw? Guess it must be to establish some rhythm/flow to their hold? Because I can't imagine it either help, or take that long to hold the bow "on target."
By watching the Olympic shooters with sights it is more understandable. They are not on the target during the whole time they are holding but more like zeroing in on the target before the release. The same without sights, the extra second is to reach the completed draw and follow thru with the release and is to be in the most perfect alignment with the target.

Even in a hunting situation a deer can move while at full draw and adjustments have to be made in aim to compensate, or you will be hitting where the kill zone was and not where it is at the time of the shot. This could be the reason for some bad shots, as some may not be able to ajust their aim at draw..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Boy, if I couldn't adjust my aim at draw...I'd limit myself to 17.2 yards...never thought of that and you could be right...

Vermonster...the rule in MT is you have to be able to hold at full draw for as long as it takes your hunting buddy to empty his bladder...if you can't...he gets to toss your bow into the campfire...

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Exactly Don, that is why in many close-shot hunting situations, barebowers will in fact "snap shoot". This falls into that "timing" thing that Atlantis referred to. The "aim" is happening not on a static basis AFTER the draw, but rather with a fluid "as it happens" kind of thing.... draw, anchor, release.... in a matter of about ONE second, and the aiming is going on from start to finish.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Pete remember our discussion on drawing the other night, this all plays right into that. See pinelanders post.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts