Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been playing with 3 under using the arrow as a point. With 55lbs, it is much different than shooting instinctive. Instinctive just went when it felt right but now the extra hold time to aim/shoot is tough to do so and keep a good form/release. So... I starting thinking, no wonder so many archers shoot lower poundage. What would you guess is the average recurve poundage shot?

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
I generally shoot 40#-ish which seems to be pretty standard for female target archers outdoors, bit heavy for indoors. I have bows up to 55#, but not for target shooting with lots of repetition.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have 45# limbs but I think they hold around 48# with my riser. Yes aiming is a lot different than drawing and letting go. I am currently in the transition. I don't have any issues drawing and holding for 10 seconds but for some reason getting the point up is difficult.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I started with 55# but quickly set up camp at 45#, just don't like the stress on my shoulders and joints that comes...for me...with a heavier bow. With the speed and efficiency of today's bow I really haven't found the need to shoot anything heavier.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Best thing I ever did to improve accuracy was drop weight and shoot a longer bow. Easy to pull and easy to hold. My best shooting weight is 42#. And I will add that with a 29+" draw shooting a 70" bow is super smooth, especially holding at anchor.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've been shooting a 46# 21st Century Edge for indoors this year and it seems like a lot of weight for that. After shooting a couple hundred arrows it gets to be a lot, especially using back tension. Not using back tension I could probably shoot 60#'s all day. I wouldn't hit anything but I could shoot it.

It's annoying when you're too tired to run you shot the way you want but you still want to practice so I'm going to get a lighter bow for indoors next year. I'll probably use that for field as well. I think what I've got will be perfect for 3D though.

While shooting indoors this year I've tried to pull back every other recurve/longbow shooter's bow and I've yet to pull one that felt anywhere close to being as heavy as mine. The best guys are in the 30's and some in the low 30's. They shoot better scores than me so they can't be wrong.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I was hunting with 58# ..bought a new bow and got lower poundage limbs (48# ) with it due to availability and accepting the fact that my form could benefit from a lower draw weight. Im now shooting about 52# the way this bow is set up.Then a week later I decided to get serious about 3 under AND ditch my glove for a Bateman tab. All said, within a week I had already seen and felt an improvement. You may think that was too much change at one time but it felt natural within 5 shooting sessions.

I regret waiting 4 years to drop some weight, and switch to a tab and 3 under....Simply put,I wasted a lot of time being hard headed.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
45# give or take a couple is good for me. At that weight, I am able to hold steady at full draw for about a minute, which is good for holding on a deer. I like to practice with the setup I hunt with so there is no change for me between the range and the tree stand.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
From what I see in New Zealand, the 3D average would be 50lb but with a few shooting up to 65lb.
Most of those people are shooting their hunting bows and are not very serious about the competition side.
Then there's a few like me who do go to compete and shoot lighter weight bows,35lb-45lb
I've shot recurves up to 65lb but now I don't intend going over 45lb again.
I simply don't think the extra weight is necessary for target shooting or light skinned animals, but accuracy is an absolute must for both.

John.

·
Space For Sale
229 Posts
Target longbow or recurve--35 pounds
Hunting longbow or recurve--40 pounds
compound hunting and target--50 to 55 pounds.

I'm a real wimp I guess but those are the weights I control the best.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Depends on how many shots I want to do.
For targets shooting or competition with a lot of shots 32 - 38 pounds.
Outdoor shooting with a couple of shots here and there 45 pounds.
I can do a very few shots with accuracy with up to 60 pounds. But really just a few.
tj

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
There have been a few polls on this. My recollection is that the average was smaller than most thought it would be. I shoot low to mid 40's, but feel best, with target shooters form, at about 40 pounds. I can hold and expand at that weight and shoot all day long. So how much you should pull depends on the form you shoot, or how much you pull dictates the form you shoot...and how many arrows you can shoot.

I am looking at this IBO shoot in California. The tournament is 40 arrows over 2 days. We shoot close to 40 arrows for warmup at FITA's, which are 144 scoring arrows. And that does not count all the arrows we shoot before the start, and at lunch, on the practice butts. Low arrow counts may be what you get when you are shooting heavy bows.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have bows that range from 40 to 90 #, but currently I'm shooting in the 60 # range. I'm working my way back up in weight following a serious illness. Hope to be able to hunt with a 70 pound or better English longbow this fall.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Form work and 3D I use 30-35 lbs. For hunting this past year I used 40lbs but I will jump it up to 45lbs this year. Since I do not need to shoot my hunting bow for as many arrows I was about 5lbs under bowed.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
I define myself, in terms of archery, as a bowhunter. I am faithful to training with the bale to keep my shot well mentally defined as well as keep my body in shape to shoot a "hunting weight" bow… which for me (and by my own standard) is never much less than 60lbs at my draw. I currently shoot 56-62lbs @ 30". I suppose they'll be a time when old age forces me to shoot less, but I'm not 80 yet and hope to keep what I have to at least that age! :)

Tom

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I shoot 36 for indoor and 3d, same bow/limbs just different arrows. For hunting Im between 45-47lbs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts