Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shoulders back and down. Hips rotated forward scrunching like a C with you abs. Tight butt pushing the hips forward. Rib cage down crunching toward your abs. Chin down and neck back. This will give you a flat back. This is the correct posture they are teaching me in physical therapy. This is also what archers are taught. Good posture stabilizes the body and allows you to use your back more effectively. Archery would be a lot easier if we all had good posture to begin with. As much as I have practiced this, I still feel pretty awkward trying to do some of it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
To this I'll add :

- "Dropped shoulder" for the bow arm to allow the humerus/scapula/collar bone to seat correctly . . .

- Feet at 50-50% loading : the right foot centered on the heel & the left foot centered on the ball of the foot . . .

View attachment 106655

Just my preference.

regard,

John

Reactions: DDD

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
both of those postures described are very energy expensive

Reactions: Steve

·
Registered
460 Posts
Classic Tee with shoulders and hips aligned.
And from there, any personal adaptations that works for ya', works for ya'.
I've watched a lot of champions and few of them have the same form,,, until you watch their over all alignment.
Like poetry in motion regardless of the form or aims of the style.
"Squared away" describes it for me.
An from there on in, it's all in your head son.

John.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Hmmm. This interesting. There is a person over on the FITA forum at AT asking about straight back.

Possibly related to what Phil was saying, when I've worked to shoot flat back, I felt very weak in the shot.

Weird.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Good posture isn't really that energy intensive once you have it.

If you've got a ton of muscle imbalance, tightness, and mobility issues it might be difficult to start. Addressing those issues would probably help your archery and everything else in life.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

If you've got a ton of muscle imbalance, tightness, and mobility issues it might be difficult to start. Addressing those issues would probably help your archery and everything else in life.
Which is why my physical therapist is working on getting me better aligned. I am an active 63, climbing, shooting, kayaking, hiking. I don't want to be fighting my body alignment to get things done.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

I think good posture takes some energy(Im not sure i aagree with scyth plan though) but using muscles to protect joints seems like a good use of energy.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Reactions: Bamerabi

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Im no doctor but Ive had back issues(stemming from naturally fused L1 combined with some heavy use/misuse.) Standing up straight(slight arc in lower back actually) and tall is what seems important to me. I suppose it takes more energy than slouching but it doesnt seem like much. But having muscle support some of the bodies weight instead of cartilage between bone is important.

keeping slight tone in your butt is good. Its complimentary to standing up straight and has other health benefits.

Your shoulders and the base of your neck will naturally rotate back a bit if you are standing up straight.

I think this is basically what Hank said. But if you focus too much on the peripheral placements you can end up contorting yourself, most of it should come natural with proper spine position. And proper posture should feel very natural when walking around.

Scythes picture looks like a dude pooped his pants.

·
Registered
730 Posts
That posture might be bizzare because most of the people are starting from the shoulders down. If you just push the hips forward a bit and stay (naturally relaxed) standing the rest follows. If you move your arms up the shoulders are naturally in the right position, the chin is there and all is right because the spine worked its magic. We are not puppets, there is a reason the skeleton is there.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
What do you mean by "push the hips forward"

·
Registered
730 Posts
When you are peeing in the urinals that’s “push hips forward”. Take it from there and adjust the “push” as required to something that it doesn’t feel weird. That movement adjusts the spine and all the things attached or depending on it.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
when you stand at a urinal, you actually rotate the pelvic girdle backwards.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
when you stand at a urinal, you actually rotate the pelvic girdle backwards.
I was going to say the same. Otherwise you are impeding the flow. Of course when we are young we pee like we are trying to put out a fire with a hose.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts