Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Heavy long arrows. Or really light poundage limbs.

Have a great day,
Kasey

·
Registered
649 Posts
also you could just change anchor, move it way up your face and that would bet a pretty good point on also.

Kasey

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
I shot 47# limbs, full length 2712's with 4" feathers, and 300 gr tips, my very high anchor gave me point on at 20 yards. Not as slow as you might think either. My anchor is index on cheek bone/orbital eye socket bone, tip of index feather to tip of nose.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
If you don't want long and slow arrows or to walk the string then the only way forward is moving your anchor.
Although a rest with some vertical give will cut things down just a little bit.

-Grant

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
I can get no where near this.

I think it is my face shape as my anchor is as high as it can be. I still have about an 20" gap at 20 yards with 31" 400 spine arrows that are doing low 180fps. These are around 390gr I think.

I have some weight tubes I am going to try to weigh them down with but still doubt I will get the point on to 20 yards.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
If you don 't want to shoot light limbs and heavy arrows.

The biggest thing you can do to shorten you point on is move your anchor up.

John Wert has about as high an anchor as I have seen but most of the IBO guys are real close.

The next most effective thing you can do is raise your nock point way up. You will get some funky arrow flight but you can correct it with big feathers.

Unless you are shooting indoors 20 is real short. Most guys look for a point on of 30-40. With a slightly longer point on you don't have to gap over targets.

Matt

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
Matt is correct for outdoors I want my point on to be 45 yards, I shoot Safari's and Field events. With a 45 yard point on my arrow tip is on the target/paper for the majority of the shots, and my hold over to 101 is not as drastic.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have a high anchor..I really struggle to get a 30 point on with about any setup ive tried....

Right now my IBO rig is 25 which is fine I can shoot it from 22-28 and at 30 I stack a shaft out to about 33.

Dewayne

·
Registered
996 Posts
I've shot with Wert, and his anchor is the highest I've seen.

I shoot with a high anchor, cradling my cheekbone into my index finger. I also tilt my head slightly to bring my eye over the arrow which further lowers my point on. I usually end up with a point on from 23 yds (heavy arrow) to 40 yards (light arrow).

Right now tuning up a 42#@30" Imperial longbow shooting 510g Sitka Spruce shafts. Point on is looking to be around 25 yds. It is not a speed demon, however.

But i agree, the single best way to get a lower point on is to raise your anchor and shoot 3 under.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My indoor set up this year was close to point on at 20 yards (I had to aim about 4 inches low).

34 pound limbs. Full length 2312 arrows with 145 grain points (they were about 500 grains or so). I anchor at the corner of my mouth with my thumb hooked under my jaw. There was enough speed that this set up was reasonably forgiving but I had a consistent aiming point on the target.

The previous season I tried my regular 40# limbs and a monster heavy 800 grain arrow. It worked but if I slightly under drew or creeped at all the arrow ended up in the low 4 ring.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Matt P has got it right in my book. A bow, from the prospective of "aiming", is not any different than a firearm… IF ya want to adjust elevation, then move the rear sight… up to lower your zero distance or down to do the opposite.

Seems silly to me to have to weight down arrows, lighten limbs or buy long arrows when all one need do in a little adjustment in form...

Tom

·
Registered
623 Posts
Matt P has got it right in my book. A bow, from the prospective of "aiming", is not any different than a firearm… IF ya want to adjust elevation, then move the rear sight… up to lower your zero distance or down to do the opposite.

Seems silly to me to have to weight down arrows, lighten limbs or buy long arrows when all one need do in a little adjustment in form...

Tom
I would love to move my anchor higher for indoors and have tried numerous times. The shape of my face has made it difficult for me to find a consistent higher anchor point.

The hard part about teaching this sport is that each individuals' body is an integral part of the system and no two of those are alike.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.