Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Havent shot bow for 25 years recently bought a Dalaa 17" riser with 45# limbs. I used to shoot split finger but the index finger pinch is very bad. I switched to 3 under for a try and I love it! My accuracy has improved immensely! However the bow now shoots about 12-15" low with three under and index finger in corner of mouth. It's not impacting where I am focusing. I shot my buddy's Martin Jaguar for a try yesterday and it is point on and I can hit almost anything out to 40 yards with very tight groups with this tun of the mill bow. The Jaguars does have a very flat and low grip and my Dalaa has a normal grip, kinda high in my mind. Would changing the grip on my Dalaa to a low grip change point of impact. Also the rest on the jaguar is quite high above the hand brining the arrow up a lot. Any ideas??

Loochez

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not dropping bow arm and following thru correctly as observed by others watching. Indidnexpect the POI to drop going to 3 under but it seems they are not hitting where I am focussing on. maybe the Jaguar just has a much higher rest closer to my eye level?

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Havent shot bow for 25 years recently bought a Dalaa 17" riser with 45# limbs. I used to shoot split finger but the index finger pinch is very bad. I switched to 3 under for a try and I love it! My accuracy has improved immensely! However the bow now shoots about 12-15" low with three under and index finger in corner of mouth. It's not impacting where I am focusing. I shot my buddy's Martin Jaguar for a try yesterday and it is point on and I can hit almost anything out to 40 yards with very tight groups with this tun of the mill bow. The Jaguars does have a very flat and low grip and my Dalaa has a normal grip, kinda high in my mind. Would changing the grip on my Dalaa to a low grip change point of impact. Also the rest on the jaguar is quite high above the hand brining the arrow up a lot. Any ideas??

Loochez
Welcome to the realization that your accuracy is not linked to "instinctive" but rather to sight picture. By switching to 3 under the back of the arrow is higher, effectively making the arrow point down in relation to your sight picture. The fix is to relearn the new sight picture, or start gap shooting.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Yep you lowered the rear sight by going to three under and making the distance to your eye less to the back of the arrow. You will need to shorten the gap by the 10 inches and all will be well again.

Mike

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Tune a longer arrow
That's why I always try to tune full length arrows, keeps my gaps smaller. Also, check to see if both bows are tillered the same. You can also move your nocking point down a little at a time until your arrows hits where you're looking as long as you don't take it to the point of porpoising....

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Along with those who have commented about your potential form flaws (ie, bow arm), I'd caution you to work at consistency in your form…Doing it the same, as best you're able, from shot to shot! Often new or returning archers don't allow themselves to settle down and remain solidly anchored… if only for a second or two. That can be a bad thing, not allowing for sameness in form.

All n all an avg. 20yd "gap" is gonna be around 12"…But that is subject to how high you anchor your string hand, head position etc. All the best!

Tom

·
Registered
798 Posts
The other bow you shot, were you also shooting 3 under... your point being that why does one shoot this way and not the other... is it the grip or other? I would say it is the tune. Were you shooting the same length arrows? Was one off the shelf and the other off a rest?. One tuned nock much higher than the other?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup both bows I shot 3 under same grouping just mine was very low. My bow is the Dalaa 45# with zero tiller. The other bow was the Martin Jaguar it also had zero tiller or very close lets say. The Jaguar has a elevated rest way above the hand and at least 5/8 higher than the plunger I use on my Dalaa. I guess the Jaguar rest being so high compensates for my 3 underof which dropped my groups on the Dalaa but not the Jaguar perhaps. I shot friends long bow last week and I was amazed at how smooth and accurate that was for me as it had a very basic grip like the Martin so this is also party why I was thinking I should try a low grip.

Loochez

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Or raise your rest. Measure both bow. Nock point. Rest to center of riser. Looking down at the tip of the arrow vs looking up.

Also, if you heel the bow with a low grip you can push the shot high. Where is point on for your friend and his bow is it the same for you?
Dan

·
Super Moderator
2,863 Posts
Ok thanks gang. I guess the thing to do is retrain the brain for the new sight picture. Makes sense. I'll leave it at that for now and get shooting!! Thanks a bunch

Loochez
You have figured it out better than most of the responders. Some bad guesses above. A lower wrist type grip will raise the impact, maybe to where your friend's bow hits. But if you are interested mainly in short range to 20 or so yards you may chose to just retrain your mind and eye. That sort of arrangement can produce great accuracy at short range. - lbg

Reactions: Loochez

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Or raise your rest. Measure both bow. Nock point. Rest to center of riser. Looking down at the tip of the arrow vs looking up.

Also, if you heel the bow with a low grip you can push the shot high. Where is point on for your friend and his bow is it the same for you?
Dan
DDD perfect! Raise the rest!! Exactly what I thought I could do. Somehow thus bring it back to my old sight pic that I have been used to for so long. The low grip i shall try for heck of it anyway. Thanks again

Loochez

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
DDD perfect! Raise the rest!! Exactly what I thought I could do. Somehow thus bring it back to my old sight pic that I have been used to for so long. The low grip i shall try for heck of it anyway. Thanks again

Loochez
Unless your nock point is overly high, raising your rest will get you "bouncing" arrows off it. It might shoot higher, at the expense of noise/accuracy/consistency. Leave the bow as is(assuming its tuned, did you tune it for nock height?) and learn the new sight picture. Your mind already knows the trajectory, it just has to learn the new gap/sight picture.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.