Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
We few, We happy few...
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody on TT that is a Podiatrist and an Archer?

Got a medical question.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
If it's a Bio-mechanics question .. I'll try and help out?

·
We few, We happy few...
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So here is the deal. I shoot righty. Whenever I shoot archery, the Plantar Facitis flares up in my left foot. Within a couple hours, I am hobbling around.

I can spend hours on my feet at a Martial Arts seminar. Putting all kinds of pressure on my foot -- and nothing.

But, something I do when I am standing and shooting causes issues in my left foot. This can be at a 3 D Shoot, my backyard, or indoors. The terrain and surface does not matter.

Thoughts?

Reactions: biglegmax

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Following this thread...

Never even heard of plantar fasciitis until a month ago. I can't wear anything but work boots for my job and after a month on a job involving concrete floors I got it bad. By 2pm I was limping like an old dog! I dealt with it for another month but finally bought some $15 Dr. Scholls insoles for plantar fasciitis and after about a week its starting to subside...

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
My guess is that with your martial arts practice you are either barefoot or in very thin shoes. What shoes are you wearing with archery? It might be worth a bit of experimenting and try shooting with bare feet. If it works, there are a great many outdoor specialty shoes for folks that hike and run with minimalist footwear for a barefoot feel.

HERE is a link to Russell Moccasin.
HERE as well is an amazing boot.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rasyad

·
We few, We happy few...
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wear regular shoes. Not going to fight barefoot, not going to train barefoot.

It has something to do with flexing my foot as I shoot. Thinking about shooting from a chair Thursday. See what happens.

Reactions: Tom M

·
Registered
576 Posts
Interesting thread.
I have always attributed those symptoms to a bad spine/ unconditioned abs. I suspect that is not your case Matt. I hope there is some more input.
Rasyad, have you had any first hand experience with these products?
Doug

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
I had a bad case of that on an elk hunt one time and thought I was going to have to quit mid hunt. Added a second set of insoles in that boot to raise my heal and was able to go the distance. Sometimes it's a little thing like boot fit that's the difference.

Mike

·
We few, We happy few...
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have worn orthotics for years as my feet are busted up. I wear super supportive shoes.

Stretching the calf is a big deal to keep Plantar Facitis at bay.

But, there is something about shooting that causes it! Dang, it!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Matt ..
you're doing all the right stuff in stretching, but it could be a Heel Spur and other assocated stuff.... I'll reply in detail later after work

·
We few, We happy few...
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gents,

To be clear on when the PF flares up is after or during shooting. If I jog, ride a bike, go for a walk, do Martial Arts, or kick the dog - nothing.

It is weird.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Interesting thread.
I have always attributed those symptoms to a bad spine/ unconditioned abs. I suspect that is not your case Matt. I hope there is some more input.
Rasyad, have you had any first hand experience with these products?
Doug
I have had the Russell's custom moccasin boots. They were very well made but they missed a couple times on the fit and I got frustrated with them. They were great to deal with and I would not hesitate doing it again. On the Barefoot thing, I have gone back and forth, lots of support and higher hiking heels and low, with thinner soles and more feel. With the Barefoot thing you land and spring on the balls of your feet and not on the heel. I actually find it better for my knees and back, as well as standing around.

Rasyad

·
We few, We happy few...
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I'd say at this point to stop asking guys that shoot bows and start asking a doctor.

Going to get better answers faster.

Mike
Mike,

100 percent correct on that one. That is why I was hoping we had a Podiatrist in the house. But, I guess we don't.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Hi Matt
First of all, your description of the symptoms is pretty much classic Plantarfasciitis. The discomfort comes from inflamatory trauma to the plantar fascia, a structure that runs from the anterior of the calcaneus to proxmal phalanges. Classic fasciitis usually come from overuse or impact trauma. Now with all your other activities i suspect you've had a minor trauma to the fascia that's exacerbated by prolonged static standing. The secret to resolving the discomfort is to break the cycle of micro traume that's causing the inflamation ... so what to do ?
Well there's quite a few things you can do .... I suppose saying reduce your shooting is out of the question...so

1. keep stretching .... (Gastronemius, Soleus and gentley the fascia it's self)
2. anti inflamatory medication (speak to your MD) the inflamation excites the sensory neurons causing the pain
3. take the strain of the fascia ... do this by inserting some 6-8mm heel raise in your shoes .. left and right
4. wear the softest / cushioned shoes you can .. this slows down the rate of loading of the structure
5. Give it time ... it won't go away over night
6.change your orthotics (for a short time only) for a pair of full length silicon Gel insoles (I'd recommend Silipos gel insoles)

good luck .. but ..it will go away of it's own accord ...given time
Hope this helps

·
Registered
465 Posts
Matt,

Check to see if you are pronating your left foot in when you shoot. I tend to do that. I also do it when golfing. That seems to give better stability and you may be doing it unconsciously.

If you are doing it, try turning your foot out (only slightly) to see if the pain subsides.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.