Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've recently switched to shooting Oly recurve, and I've run into a very consistent problem. With no plunger, I'm averaging 23 points per end on an NFAA 300 face. Not stellar for having sights and all the rest of it, but not terrible. With a plunger though, I'm shooting to the right. (For righties this would be shooting to the left, as I'm left handed).

No matter what I do with the plunger, I shoot to the right. I crank up the tension - shoot to the right. I reduce the tension to the lowest possible setting - shoot to the right. I change my center shot setup so the arrow is actually inside the center of the bow - shoot to the right. I change my center shot setup so the arrow is where it should be or even outside of where it should be - shoot to the right. I change my string alignment until the sight appears to be a solid inch inside my string - shoot to the right. I move the sight to the right as far as it will go - shoot to the right. It's like no matter where I move my sight, it doesn't actually matter, I can never get to the point I'm aiming for.

Anybody know what this problem might be? I've been trying everything I can think of for two weeks and I can't seem to figure it out. The only thing that seemed like it might be of concern was nock pinch on my drawing hand, but I still shoot to the right, even if I space my fingers far outside the nock so they're not making any physical contact with it.

I am super frustrated right now.

·
Premium Member
12,822 Posts
Is ALL of this right-shooting at one fixed distance?
Thinking of moving 10 yards farther out and see if it changes.
And if not too close, move closer 10 yards as well.

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is ALL of this right-shooting at one fixed distance?
Thinking of moving 10 yards farther out and see if it changes.
And if not too close, move closer 10 yards as well.
It's all at the fixed distance of 20 yards indoors. Though I tested the no-plunger setup at 25 and 15 as well as 20 and I was dead straight at all three distances.

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What poundage, arrows, arrow length and point weight?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Thirty pounds, Easton Platinum XX75 1916s, 29 inches long. Not positive on the point weight. I think 125, but they may be 100. How far right depends on how much I crank my string alignment over to the right. If I hold the string almost on the right side of my nose, I can get the arrow to stay on the outside edge of the 5/middle of the 4. But I can't get it to go center X for anything. If I'm not intentionally flashing the string to the right, I usually end up in the middle of the 3 ring, directly 3 o'clock of the bull.

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven't filmed myself, but yeah. I mean, when I have a bad release and the arrow goes off target, that's one thing, but I'm consistently grouping all of my arrows to the right with the plunger, sometimes in a 2 inch group, and I'm consistently grouping in the 5 (mostly) without the plunger.

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just curious, have you bareshafted?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Nope. I'm going to follow the methodology Sam posted tomorrow and see what comes of it. Maybe my initial tune was just really bad and now I'm trying to hit a moving target by adjusting everything rather than one thing at a time. I'm hoping that's the case, otherwise I don't know what's going on.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Hi Alina,

What is your setup without the plunger? Just the rest alone? Are the arrows contacting the riser directly or just floating in space?

When you have the plunger in does the rest arm have room to colapse into the riser?

And then there is bareshafting to confirm that your spine is correct.

My guess is you are having contact between the vanes and the riser.

Rasyad

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Alina,

What is your setup without the plunger? Just the rest alone? Are the arrows contacting the riser directly or just floating in space?

When you have the plunger in does the rest arm have room to colapse into the riser?

And then there is bareshafting to confirm that your spine is correct.

My guess is you are having contact between the vanes and the riser.

Rasyad
So without the plunger, it's just the rest. The arrows are floating in space, not contacting the riser. The rest arm has room to collapse. However, I do have some fletching damage going on, and I wasn't sure what the cause of that was. How do you keep the fletching from contacting the riser?

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Alina,

By having the proper tune. In a perfect world the arrows bend around the rest, plunger, and riser and don't touch anything. While it is possible to set up a bow to shoot with no side pressure (riser side plate, plunger, springy) it is not going to be the most forgiving tune. Column loading of the arrow upon release, deflection of the arrow nock / string off the fingers, and side loading of the point end of arrow combine to bend the shaft the same way each time.

After properly matched arrows I think Brace Height has the next biggest effect on clearance. Are you shooting feathers or vanes?

I think you are going to have to start over step by step to absolutely confirm you have properly matched arrows and are not banging off the riser.

Good luck,

Rasyad

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I had the same thing going on when I put a plunger on my bow last week.
I lowered my brace height half an inch and increased my preload,that's bought everything back online.
Plus,for your arrows I'd also try a soft spring in the plunger.

Good luck.
John.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
You are left handed and arrows are always going right, suggesting too stiff despite the corrective measures taken.

I think your arrows are too weak, contacting the riser, damaging the fletching, and being diverted to give a false impression- 180 degrees opposite to the truth.

Is there any hollow sound on release, any sign of rubbing on the riser?

I suggest you drop the point weight to the lowest available then check. Alternatively try 2016's.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts