Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. My name is Chris, and this will be my first post (as I'm brand-spanking new to archery).

Being brand new to archery, I'm only now starting to understand some of the concepts and types of bows. I'm going to make some very broad assumptions with my questions, and if your answers could be very simple, that would be helpful (stats will fly right over my head).

All lengths being equal,

1. Is a composite bow simply a more powerful alternative to a self bow?
  2. Is the purpose of a recurve to increase the power of a composite or self bow?
  3. A longbow is simply a longer version of a regular self bow, right?
  4. Assuming that is true, a simple longbow is relatively just as effective as the shorter composite recurves, true?
  5. Historically, were composite recurve longbows ever made? (because that seems like it would be the most powerful, but I can't really find references)

I appreciate the help, and please feel free to school me where appropriate...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
1 yes..a self bow is a 1 piece of wood no composite of any type.
2 yes recurve is the limb design it has recurved limb and does generate more power than a typical straight limbed bow like a longbow or a self bow.
3 no..a longbow is normally a straight limb that's made of carbon or fiberglass...a self bow is made of a single piece of wood like Osage or yew.
4 no...refer to # 2
5 no...there's nonsuch thing as a recurve longbow...there is however a hybrid longbow which is the most powerful longbow made because the limb design has more reflex or bend.

Hope this helps

Dewayne Martin

·
Premium Member
12,806 Posts
Chris, welcome to the forum.
Either you are combining, confusing and twisting some terms, or technically you have them correct and I have them muddied in my mind.
Basics - to me, subject to interpretation, a selfbow is likely a one-piece longbow made by yourself or someone else, but not a custom bowyer.
A recurve's limb tips turn back away from the archer, as bow is held in the bow hand.
A longbow's limb tips do not turn away from the shooter, it forms more of a D look as viewed from the side profile, when it is string up.
Power & speed, the edge used to go to the recurves, but more recently this has been more or less evened up by some of the better offerings of longbows.

·
Registered
291 Posts
There are a few different types of bows brother. There are compounds (few strings,pulleys and what not), longbows (when unstrung they are straight up and down), recurves (which bend at the tips) and hybrid longbows (half longbow half recurve). Hope I made that simple enough. Welcome to the sport!! Its really confusing starting out. Takes a lot of forum reading and research

·
Registered
291 Posts
Oh, and self bows are bows that are home made by yourself

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Selfbows are made from a single piece of wood regardless of who made them, the name does not describe the manufacturer in any way.

-Grant

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sorry grant, I stand corrected

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Welcome to the forum Chris. Inexpensive, longbow, and recurve can sometimes be found in one place: Warf. They're a really nice platform to experiment from and they don't break the bank.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Welcome to the forum Chris. Inexpensive, longbow, and recurve can sometimes be found in one place: Warf. They're a really nice platform to experiment from and they don't break the bank.
Hey long rifle, what is a warf? Tried doing a Google search but nothing came up

·
Registered
291 Posts
Oh never mind I found it! So basically Hoyt Dorado's and buffalos etc. are warfs?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Oh never mind I found it! So basically Hoyt Dorado's and buffalos etc. are warfs?
No,all the Hoyts are what they are in their own right.
The Warf as it's called in America is an idea that has been going on around the world since at lest 1972 that I know of,,,,I own one built by my father in law around 1975 or 1976.
In America Mr Bob Gordon introduced the ILF contection to the basic ideal and it has quite rightly become very popular ever since.
BTW,the name WARF comes from Mr Gordons dog who was named Warf.
Must of been a real cutie.

John.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
As previously indicated, a Warf is an old compound riser whose pocket angles lend it to conversion into a recurve or longbow. They can be modified to accept either ILF or DAS or bolt down connection so that different limbs may be shot/changed at will...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts