Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Spearhead
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a large frame pistol holster for a 44mag ruger bisley hunter 7.5" barrel.
Can't decide on a shoulder or hip holster. Pros cons?

Need recommendations on each and where to order?

Will be a backup/protection for brown bears during elk hunting.
Two day horseback into camp and two day ride out, needs to be secure but somewhat accessible and easy to draw, just in case.

The ones I've seen have a hoop to go over the hammer to keep in the holster, not sure if I like that? A snap may be easier?

Thanks

Chad

·
Registered
165 Posts
I carry the same pistol in a shoulder holster. I ordered it from Cochise Leather and it took about 3-4 weeks to have it made and shipped. With all of the bulky clothes on in hunting season, the shoulder holster provides easy access.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
I carried 25 pound pistol belt, all leather for 25 years every day.

I actually have stretch marks on my hip bones from the heavy belt load. Now take it from me,,,,,if you carry a waist line holster? They key is a wide thick belt around your waist to support and hold it all up. Hanging a 2 or 3 pound pistol on a little thin belt will not do it. I like the old Roy Baker original Pancake holster if I did the skinny belt carry. If you go heavy belt? Get one with a Cartridge Bandolier.

The new deal with Police these days is nylon belts and holsters. A 2 1/4 nylon belt should hold the load up too. I am old school and like leather and the only drawback was polish making mine squeak and pop when I moved like a saddle. I miss that sound!

·
Premium Member
12,794 Posts
I like my BAGMASTER holster, made for a scoped Contender or large revolver.
WHen using my 6-inch .357 SW 586 I just pad the holster to fit.
OR I just insert my HUNTER holster inside the Bagmaster holster.
It fits great.
REAL secure, holster rides in front on left side, bottom angles back.
WAIST STRAP is adjustable, and keeps rig from banging forward when crawling ditch banks, etc.
SNAP strap (Velcro) keeps it all in.

Attachments

·
Barbarian Tyrant
971 Posts
I have more holsters than handguns! I tried a shoulder holster with my Ruger Super Redhawk but it made my upper back and shoulders hurt after a couple hours. I chose a leather holster with the snap tab over the hammer and like Sam said, a good stiff belt is a must. Your just going to try a few to see what you like, it's all personal.

What ever you get make sure it does not hide the gun under your coat and hunting clothes which makes drawing slower; those bears are sneaky critters. A shoulder rig might serve you best over top your coat and there are some good cheap ones out there.

·
Spearhead
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys thanks a ton, I love the feel,look,smell of leather. It will be leather if I can, nylon if it's a pinch.
Wide belt (thanks), it will have to have the cartridge loops, carying boxes or rounds is noisy and cumbersome and heavy to say the least.
I've had nylon belts for my quiver and they fold over easily.

Thanks

The gun is on order, wait time? Was told 6 months to a year? They are trying to get caught up on the semi auto backlog? So I have time to look and research.

Thinking a cros draw may be better for being in the saddle

Chad

·
Spearhead
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys
Gun and belt and holster came together, went with a cross draw due to horse back and hold reins with my left.
Now to get it sighted in and shooting.

Holster is galco and hunter belt.

[/URL][/IMG]

Thinking of 75 yard zero

Chad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.