Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Barbarian Tyrant
971 Posts
Solomon and Jesus spoke of similar things.
The older I get the wiser I get.
I wish I followed old folks advice when I was 16.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
So very true of many Sam.

K31Scout, what's that old saying "Youth is wasted on the young".

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Life is a paradox sometimes isn't it?

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never been rich with worldly things and if I was, I would give a lot of it away. I do not need much to be happy, just pay my bills and eat.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I suspect that the Dalai Lama spent a lot of time listening to his elders and actually paid attention to what they said....

I agree with you Sam and I've been happier sometimes making $200 a week than I was when I made $2,000 a week.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A Guy just needs the necessities. I like to have two of everything in Bows and rifles and pistols.

I like to have plenty of arrows and ammo but beyond that several good knives and decent boots. I like good boots and think you get what you pay for on boots and socks.

I like to eat good and cook simple things.

I have never really understood collecting anything in great numbers unless it was ammo. I like to use my stuff so I do not collect stuff I am not going to use as far as guns unless it is cast iron pots and frying pans. I like to have my cornbread cast iron skillets for just cornbread.

I do kind of have a tendency to hoard flashlights and batteries.

I wear my clothes completely out and buy most of them at a thrift store. I would do this even if I had a lot of money but I do admit I like Carhart jeans and coveralls.

In the summer I almost always wear Crocs and not boots since I retired unless I'm mowing or weed eating.

I am beginning to hate belts and am thinking of going to suspenders?

I also have a hangup on caps and hats and like stocking caps in the winter but like the old Jones hunting caps.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I didn't think I had a lot of stuff until I had to move. Holy crap! Gave away some, left some for the cleaners and still have totes full of miscellaneous junk to sort through. So many books I'll never read again, clothes that don't fit etc. etc. Shelf space encourages bad habits ;-)

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
"" I do kind of have a tendency to hoard flashlights and batteries.""

Sam, good flashlights are a necessity. I have a 4-cell Mag in the truck, plus a Fenix mini-mag style and a headlamp. Plus a couple more in the apartment. Okay, maybe three or four, haven't taken inventory lately.

Check out this little gem -

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hl10-led-headlamp/

Reactions: Sam Dunham

·
Premium Member
12,110 Posts
pretty cool little headlamp Dana, thanks.
I need to get ONE (or two), never had one.
GREAT for working on like tractors & equipment, pickup broke down, etc.
I also like simple things best, used deals are great, I like Carhaart jeans & coveralls, heavy winter arctic coat, too.
VALUE.
This is a good thread, notwithstanding the DL's original points.
I wonder what the Dalai Lama was like early on?
Was he a normal child?
I never thought of it before now..........

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
steve, he is tenzin gyatso. i believe he is 76 years old. he was named dalai lama in 1950. he has been in exile since china assumed control over tibet. he was funded once by the cia in an effort to create uprisings in tibet that never worked. his residence is in india. he is an interesting and open person to listen and talk to. he travels and gives lectures all over the world and is worth seeing if he is near you.
i have more dogs than i can use, too many horses, not enough bows, only 4,
6 firearms, two vehicles, and not nearly enough time.
i live in a 100 + year old place we moved into in the late fifties. it's a funny old place with tilting floors, leaning walls, and just enough room for the two of us. it's "home" to both my wife and me and we will never move out of it.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
The Dalai Lama wears a hat that reads 'The Washington National Cathedral' while delivering an address 'Beyond Religion - Ethics for the Whole World', at the Washington National Cathedral in Washington DC, USA, 07 March 2014. The Tibetan spiritual leader, viewed by Beijing as a seperatist, met with US lawmakers on his current visit to Washington.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Dana I am hunting them on Ebay. The DL is a great Man and a simple Man with wise words and basic examples for everyone.

Yes I have a weakness for knives the very basic tool of man. I like folders and while I prefer tactical type folders I am very fond of good old Case xx or old shrades and keen kutters.

1bjd and I are always on the hunt for original Jones hunting cap/hats and he sends me one if he finds one too big. I have had the reproduction and china Jones hats but they do not look and feel right. John sent me on a month ago that is not an original but it is so close I wear it all the time.

I like the old Treebark camo and watch for anything made with it.

Another weakness is Military ammo cans and I have recently made myself get rid of a couple of them but it was hard to do. lol

I like to isolate things so I can grab them in case of a fire and ammo cans with my goodies seems easy way to do that.:cheers:

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Sam, here's a use for those ammo cans -

I recently gave my last piece of Trebark to Goodwill, had it forever but the doggone thing shrank a size-and-a-half ;-)

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Beans cooked over a fire with ham in one of those old deep casts with a lid,,:cheers: Look for solid leather purses etc. at the thrift shops

1 - 18 of 18 Posts