Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Been lurking for a while, and have received a lot of help from this forum!

I've searched here and elsewhere, and can't find any info...

I know (from reading posts here) that elevated rests were popular as early as the 50's and 60's.

I also know that feather rests were (probably) the original elevated rest.

I'm wondering if someone could give me a timeline on which commercially available stick-on elevated rest(s) were available at different times, particularly those that are still being sold today?

This interests me in general, but I'm especially interested in 1965 or prior, as I have a 1965 Bear Cub that I want to have the option to shoot vanes with (specifically 2" Blazers, which are tall and stiff). (Sorry, not very trad!)

I am very successfully doing so now using an unmodified Bear Weather Rest on a Samick Polaris/OMP Adventure 2.0.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Blazers are a poor choice on any finger shot bow regardless of rest.

Reactions: C123

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Grantmac,

No arguments from me there! I'm a feather fletch guy at heart, even with compounds.

But, I do like the toughness of the Blazers for high volume shooting, and the arrows I shoot the most for fun are the sometimes-on-sale for $20/6 Victory Decimators from Dick's, which are, according to my research, a re-badged Victory VForce Sport. These come fletched with 2" Blazers.

When I first shot them with fingers from a recurve, the accuracy was a very nice surprise, even at extended range. I certainly hold my own at our weekly shoots, provided I'm using a rest.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi Tooner,

Thanks a lot! I love seeing these period ads, and this was the type of info I was looking for.

A feather rest from Three Rivers was my first thought, and I tried a buddy's feather rest-equipped Bear '59 re-issue with my arrows. They seemed to come off his bow properly, but he's shooting a lot higher poundage than me, so spine was an issue muddying the waters, and I'm just not sure the feather rest is high enough for the Blazers. I could raise it with leather and/or double sided tape, perhaps, to increase height. But, I do wonder about durability especially with these stiff vanes.

I know this is an odd question, and I very much appreciate the help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
This might be a good option (unable to post link): Three Rivers Brush Rest Elevated Rest, Item Number: 3190

This looks similar to the rest on the '66 Bearcat in the ad Tooner posted above.

Open to others as well.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Personally I would pick the brush rest also available from 3R. Was my first choice way back when for the old 5” high and stif vanes we had available. I haven’t tried shooting Blazers seriously. But they fly fine from my Bear Mag riser when I tried a couple.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Tom and John...

Tom- I appreciate your firsthand experience with the 3R brush rest in a very similar application. Thanks! Question... With this brush rest, would I be able to shoot with the bow both canted or not, or only canted? (Does the arrow sit fairly securely on the sides of the bristles?)

John- Good point. It even appears (perhaps without the plunger hole it now has) in one of the vintage ads Tooner posted. Probably a pretty natural transition from the Weather Rest as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had a few bows with the stick on brush rests. I have no idea if they are correct. My current 1970-72 Bear Super Kodiak had one and a metal 3 pin sight on it when I got it 4 years ago. Both are long gone now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Blazers are a poor choice on any finger shot bow regardless of rest.
Why do you say this^^^Grantmac?
I was thinking about trying a feather rest too...
If the vanes clear the riser, what does being a finger shooter ruin shooting vanes?
THANKS in advance for ur inputs...

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
To tall and stiff for finger shooting. Some people can get them to work or so I've heard, but I've never seen it work out.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I've used the brush rest, great cheap option. I've found that trimming a bit off the botton allows you to mount it a bit closer to the shelf, closer to 'center'.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MonkeyJuice - Re: GrantMac's comment, I agree that 2" Blazer vanes are very tall and stiff.

If there is contact between fletching and bow, feather fletching is, I think we'd all agree, the most forgiving common fletching material. Soft, low profile vanes would be second, and Blazers are less forgiving still.

However, off an elevated rest, whether trad or compound, fingers or mechanical release, I've found that the key to using Blazers successfully is, as you suggested, lack of contact. If the fletching doesn't contact anything, its stiffness won't matter, and with an elevated rest it's much easier to ensure there is no contact (or, optionally, so little contact that it doesn't adversely affect anything, depending on your preferred setup/tuning preferences).

Here's a link to other trad archers discussing good luck with Blazer vanes: http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=154317

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've used the brush rest, great cheap option. I've found that trimming a bit off the botton allows you to mount it a bit closer to the shelf, closer to 'center'.
Hi Dana,

Is that the 3R brush rest? Do you find you need to cant your bow a bit to keep the arrow on the rest, or do you have the option of holding it vertically, like you would with many of the stick-on options?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have had a few bows with the stick on brush rests. I have no idea if they are correct. My current 1970-72 Bear Super Kodiak had one and a metal 3 pin sight on it when I got it 4 years ago. Both are long gone now.
Thanks for sharing your experience, stickbowcoop. That Super Kodiak sounds like a nice bow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts