Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just completed my first year here in my new location and I could get my Big Game Hunting Licence here (have to be a resident for at least one calendar year).

You only get one black bear tag per season so last night a friend ( long term resident of the area) went out to see if we could spot some bears.

I preface this story by saying we are surrounded by LIMITATIONS on where a person can hunt.

Wood Buffalo National Park and Land claims really limit where you can legally hunt and so much of it is by the roadside.

So don't give me grief about it ok :)

We travelled about 20 kms out and came across a bear in the middle of the road.....just standing there, so I eased up on him and he pretty much didn't even want to move.

He was a nice looking bear and big enough to take, but two things didn't match up.

Firstly he just seemed to be enjoying being out of the den and didn't seem to have a care in the world as he eased down the bank to the grass. He just seemed oblivious to us even being there. I would have had about a 15 foot shot...yes 15 FOOT shot.

That's just not sporting unless I was stalking him.

Secondly, it would have ended my hunting so that was no good. So we just watched him and talked to him and finally he just melted into the bush as he walked off.

It was real cool though.

Second bear:

Pretty small and seemed the same way. Now I am hunting for meat to make smokies so I wanted a bigger bear.

I was getting a lesson from my friend too on where you can hunt etc and it's is REAL LIMITED.

I am used to the Yukon and to places in BC and this is just not that. No mountains to climb - rivers that look like flowing mud, but the people are great.

Went down a side road and caught a Lynx crossing the road and he looked pretty out of place without snow.....long skinny legs - big paws and that long cylinder body (funny this time of year actually), but so graceful...two leaps and he was across the road and disappeared into the bush.

So I will go out wed and try again. It was nice just getting out and stump shooting too. Damn the CH is a nice bow.

PHOTO's. I can't seem to get photoshop to work so I will have to find something else...any suggestions.

Cheers Jer

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am sure I will have lots of god stories coming from our new home so I need to get the pics figured out.

Jer

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hey man, kudos to you. I probably wouldn't have passed on that first bear.
PICS: Please don't use photoshop. Instead use IMGUR. Create a FREE account and then upload any pictures yo want in there( drag and drop). You can edit the size if you want and then on the right side there will be a link/code titled pictures for forums. Copy and paste here. Thats's it.

Reactions: jerbearyukon

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kuiu - You'll be hunting up there soon enough. Love hearing about the old gang..thanks.

El-Greco - I will check out the site thanks. Yeah I hear you, but I have shot a lot of bears and so I can be picky now....besides it's just to early to be tagged out. If you could get two tags I probably would have taken it....but again, maybe not, he just seemed to have that look that said " not tonight bud"

Larry - Yeah we had a fall grizzly sow once that was feeding on blueberries...best tasting meat I had for a long time.....it was close to elk...hard to believe but it was real good.

Thanks Jer

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I took one of the 6 we saw last night. Not a huge bear in any stretch of the imagination, but he and his partner have been visiting the pits where my Mine Training students are everyday.

Used a CH - #46 @ 31" and a Simmons Shark (4 blade - bleeders), blew right through him and buried in a bank right up to 8" of the fletch - man that bow has PUNCH.

I thought he was bigger and so I ended up shooting a bit low. Left him over night and it went down to -2 C here which was perfect.

So here's the weird thing. I take the shot and the bear heads for the bush. The other bear hears the ruckus and heads up wind to my bear. My bear trees.

Then the other bear comes out looking a bit irrate to say the least...huffing and puffing and circling us to get the scent. Finally gives up and heads down the road.

It was getting late so I figured I would go down the road to text my wife (no cell service in some places here) to let her know the scoop and that I would be late and not to worry.

While we were driving the 1.2 km we see another bear. He is walking toward the road and looks to cross so I stop. He looks bhind him and then BOLTS across the road and high tails it (if a bear could actually get his tail high ;) ) and disappears into the trees.

Well that was odd....not really. We look and there is a BIG boar coming out of the trees. Now you had to be there.

This bear is down wind of my bear.....he is making a B line to him. My bear is about 1/2 km from him. He stops - check the air and then starts rubbing his back on the tree. Standing up and just going up and down...kewell.

He goes down on all fours and starts towards my bear again...goes about 30 feet and starts clawing the tree and back rubs again...kewell.

he does this 4 times in 100 meters....he is MARKING his territory. It was just dark enough now that we couldn't film it...darn.

So we make the calls and follow him up to my bear.

We park across the road. He walks in...gets a whiff and into the bush he goes.

Now it's dark enough all we could do was listen. Lots of bush cracking and I hear my bear climb a tree and the other bear must have been keeping him there.

This went on for about 10 min.

He re-appears and follows the other bears tracks and disappears into the night.

So I feel good that I took at least one (possible) problem bear out of the mix, but sure would have been nice to get a crack at the big guy.

Only have one tag so I will get some meat and get some bear smokies made like the last one I got with Daniel when he was over.

Anyway we got up and headed out this morning at 6:30. Found my bear about 30 feet from the tree he had climbed and four beds.

Skinned and quartered and back in town by 9:30 am and back to work by 10:00.

A successful hunt, but again a smaller bear than I thought.

Jer

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like it.

I was ready too.

Just remember to PICK A SPOT. I shot and I know I wasn't concentrating on THE SPOT as much as I should have.

Happens quick when not tree standing over bait, but I hope you have a successful hunt.

We will need the story of course :)

Jer

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
First time hunting bear. I really need to be careful not to make a great whitetail shot and horrible bear shot. I am so accustomed to shooting that pocket it’s tough to intentionally shoot farther back and higher. But I am practicing on it. Good advice on pick a spot. This is a baited hunt so maybe I will have plenty of time.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
7.5's

I heard the 8's are smoother though.

I didn't think they could improve on the 6's and now they have 8's wow

Jer

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
Good job Jer & go Brian

Gots to be a bit unnerving, hunting something that will eat you.
My imagination runs a bit wild sometimes even when I'm calling coyotes......just knowing it thinks I'm a rabbit and is bent on tearing my flesh.

Reactions: jerbearyukon

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hey Jer. You will be glad to know Big Jon has been out shooting all winter getting ready for the spring bear season. Adam loaned him a bow so he is now shooting a mere 55# compared to that monster 80# he had. He is delighted and we can't wait to find out how he does. Congrats on the bear. Thinning the habituated ones is a social service to people and bear populations.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Rob...wow seems like years since I have seen you. Yeah Adam has been filling me in and sent me pics.

I told Jon years ago to lose that bow and get something REASONABLE haha.

Let's see how he makes out now.

Cheers bud

Jer

1 - 20 of 24 Posts