Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took delivery of an Omega Imperial from Kegan (62", 45# @ 27"). It has the usual hickory cores and black glass back and belly lams, but has a paperstone riser instead of oak. I had chatted with Kegan about the paperstone material. Sounded like he had obtained it for use as riser accent laminations and had experimented with it as a sole riser material. He didn't seem too confident it would turn out as well as an oak riser, but I think he did an amazing job. I like how the white of the hickory contrasts with the black glass and riser.

The bow is definitely heavier than an all wood model and it feels nice and solid. Compared to my original Omega (1.46#) the paperstone Imperial weighs 2.02#. Not a huge difference, but I can definitely feel it when I pick it up. While the paperstone doesn't feel as warm as wood, it is much warmer than aluminum. I would say it feels similar to my RCX17.

My Imperial is a you-finish-it type where it arrived mostly complete. I like to do some minor shaping of the grip to my liking. I immediately noticed the paperstone is pretty hard and dense. It did not cut nearly as easily as wood and sanding took extra passes to obtain a smooth surface. Apparently, it is a paper product impregnated with epoxy resin. I am still working on shaping the grip and hope to have it finished this weekend. It's been unseasonably cold here in MN (mid 40s) so I will have to hold off on applying the spar urethane finish until it warms up a bit. I hope to get out and shoot it later next week or weekend!

·
Premium Member
12,784 Posts
Jason, that baby looks nice, I'll look forward to your range report.
I've read quite a few people really liking Kegan's bows, also, they say they are QUICK-for-pounds, as well as shooting & handling really nice.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I'm feeling really good about being inline for one of these bows, especially since I sent Kegan something special for the riser. It should be ready sometime in June.

Also feeling pretty good about hounding him to develop a stealth D-bow and pointing him towards paperstone about 14 months ago.

Paperstone by the way is kind of phenolic except it uses epoxy instead of poly resin and it's original use is as a counter-top material. It's made in Washington and if a person is so inclined they actually sell fairly small blemished pieces for a really good price. It makes excellent knife scales and the thinner pieces are extremely cheap.

-Grant

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad you guys like it! Kegan is a great guy to work with and he is always prompt in his communication. I've now got two of his bows and may very well add another, especially once he gets going with ILF.

I will certainly get back and post up my impressions of shooting it once I get it finished. It draws nice and smooth so I am really itching to go shoot it. I don't want to stick on the furniture pads just yet since I haven't applied the urethane spray. Since paperstone is used in countertops, I would assume it has innate weather-resistant properties? At any rate, the hickory lams could use some protection so I may as well just spray the entire thing. I'm tempted to stain the hickory a dark ebony to make an all-black bow.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Keep the lams white and call it the Imperial Storm Trooper.

The handle won't mind being unfinished one bit.

-Grant

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Kegan seems to be stepping up his game. The Omega Imperial looks to be a D shape when strung. Will it qualify as a D shape like the 21st Century Edge Longbow?
Mahalo, George
That was it's purpose when originally designed, originally to be used in longer length for tournament shooting. it just happens to work well at shorter lengths too.

-Grant

·
Registered
996 Posts
I own the first paperstone Omega. Its a 66" Original 45#@29". Its a very nice bow. Working the paperstone is very difficult, I had a hard time shaping the grip.

My Imperial is the standard Oak riser, but I modified the grip to give it a sort of high jaeger style grip. The standard Imperial grip is flat, so I worked a piece of paperstone on a belt sander to get what I wanted. Its a very nice feeling on the thumb pad of my bow hand.

The original grip was like this (below). It is a nice grip but a little lower than I like.

After my modifications:

Additionally, although the paperstone is heavier, I find it to be a louder shooting bow with more vibration. It adds mass and looks great, but does have its drawbacks. It is also very difficult to work with. I would expect a hefty price increase for an all paperstone riser.

·
Registered
397 Posts
J-san. -
Very nice. We should touch base this summer and compare our Omega Imperials. I must have been right behind you in line. Mine has the finish curing right now. Kegan had sent me a few pictures the other day and I certainly liked what I saw.

·
markliep
687 Posts
Like the look of the back of that grip - flat surface narrowing into the throat - seems like it should be similar to shooting off the riser but with a bit of help - anyone shot this & a Best grip or off the riser have any info re how the grip compares? Having sold off quite a few bows because of grips I didn't like I am a gripophobe - M

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Nice looking bow.
I really like the black an white contrast particularly because they are NZ's national sporting colours and I'd be proud to step up to the peg with a bow as good looking as that one.
I've also watched Kegan's progress as a bowyer on line and have a lot of respect for what he's doing.

John.

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ha! "Imperial Storm Trooper" sounds great! I've got the bow sanded down to where I want it and will try to pick up a silver sharpie marker to write down the bow info before sealing it with urethane. The white and black look is pretty nice and I've decided to leave it that way. I can't find my can of ebony stain anyways... Supposed to get into the 60-70 range this weekend so I ought to be ready for a finish coat soon!

Yes, Arron. We ought to get together this summer for an Imperial meet. The red tips are a very nice touch. I never thought about that when ordering mine. Oh well. Black and white look good enough.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.