Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to refinish my 21" excel, stripping off all the paint was easy with CITRISTIP and probably my first mistake. Now nice and clean, I wiped it down with acetone wearing vinyl gloves, the applied DUPLICOLOR acid etching primer, let dry per directions, then topcoat color and let dry. Looked great, chipped easily down to bare aluminum. Stripped again to bare metal, cleaned with acetone, primed and topcoated with RUSTOLEUM bedliner per instructions, looks really cool, sort of a powder coat finish. Didn't get as far as getting the grips back on and it was chipping,what am I doing wrong, I wish I left the original paint on and just painted over it. Acetone and primer are the common elements, don't know if they are the problem,should I go straight to bedliner and no primer? I've read some guys prime, some don't, anyone use Rustoleum bedliner spray?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've got a couple Black Bear Warfs that were sprayed with it. I've done several wood gun stocks and a couple Kwickee Kwivers with it. Even sprayed the bottom of my Summit climbing stand with it.I just sprayed over the existing finishes and have never had any issues with chipping.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Littlejohn
I did a Black Bear warf and a Nilo about 4 months ago using
Duplicolor products. Did it just like you only I added the clear coat over the color coat.

Starting to get a few nicks and I handle my bows very carefully.
Don't have enough experience to know what is normal wear.
If it chips too bad I'm going to have it powder coated next time. Let the pro's do it.

Max

·
j-san = Jason
1,684 Posts
I don't have experience with the bedliner spray, but I've used Duracoat a number of times for a variety of archery and firearms parts with great results. Makes for a very tough and durable finish that is hard to chip off if you prep the surface properly.

·
Bart Harmeling
3,551 Posts
I don't have experience with the bedliner spray, but I've used Duracoat a number of times for a variety of archery and firearms parts with great results. Makes for a very tough and durable finish that is hard to chip off if you prep the surface properly.
Do you spray it yourself? If so, what do you use?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
It's a good idea to acid etch aluminum risers before priming. I use an aluminum brightener from NAPA, it removes corrosion and cleans the metal a lot better for better adhesion of the primer and topcoats...

I've used several acid etch primers to date and the best I've found is the one made by DupliColor. A couple of coats of that before my topcoat and they seem to resist chipping...

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Another vote for duracoat. I've used the kit and it works pretty good. I now have a cheap mini spray gun from Harbor Freight that I use.

·
j-san = Jason
1,684 Posts
Do you spray it yourself? If so, what do you use?
I use the Shake-n-Spray kit available off Midway as kmbrown mentioned. Very handy and convenient way to spray, but you have to use the entire kit in one go, so it's best to plan out your painting so as to maximize usage of the kit.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
The kit I got had a separate paint jar, so I could mix what I needed. Replaceable propellent can, so multi use was doable.
I have an air compressor, so the cheapie sprayer was a better option for me.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Duracoat is a great product as well as duplicolor. I have painted many risers and the only ones that gave me problems are the ones that i stripped. Theres some sort of special primer to adhear to the bar aluminum but not sure what it is. I just decided to not strip anymore down to bare metal. I just use a 3M scotch brite pad and scuff them up. Duplicolor has a line of paint called metalcast that uses its own special primer and the results are amazing.automotive quality in a spraycan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts