Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Is it October yet ???
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the bb riser from Sam and I love the way it shoots. I just got the little axiom medium limbs for it. they are mostly white with some silver and black mixed in. I'm gonna camo em up but not sure what the best way to go about it is. Does the limb need sanding or whats the process you guys use? Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
I duracoated a set of Kaya limbs a couple years ago. Pretty easy to do and very durable. I think the kit was about $35 and you can get just about any color you want. And yes, I lightly sanded them per the instructions.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
I prefer red scotchbrite cloth to sandpaper and put on a primer coat first, then paint with Krylon camo paint and seal with Helmsman clear satin.

·
Is it October yet ???
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys !! Sam, sounds like you have it down to a science. I dont know if I can do all that. Id prolly screw something up. lol Is the clear satin a spray on as well? Sounds like it would be a durable finish

·
Premium Member
12,112 Posts
Andy, great job outta you, too

Reactions: AMB

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
That is a great job AMB!,,Yes, the clear satin is Helmsman and have also had great luck with Minnwax too. They are in a spray can like regular spray paint. I do not know if it makes a diff but I string the limbs up when I spray on the sealer coat and it seems to stay on. Coarse it will get scratched but none of that bothers me at all.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
I've used Duracoat with the added flexibility enhancer to paint several sets of limbs with good results. Not sure how necessary the flexibility enhancer is, but I figured it couldn't hurt. Has anyone ever had issues of the spray paints cracking or chipping due to the flexing of the limbs?

·
Is it October yet ???
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im gonna do this when the weather warms up. Hate to go to all that trouble and it not set up right

·
Is it October yet ???
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want something more durable. I take good care of my stuff and I dont wanna have to touch it up all the time.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I sew up covers from fleece. I found camo fleece that's stretchy in one direction so I put that crosswise. Then I just sew it up and it grips the limbs a little. I like shiny bows, especially the bows from the 50's and 60's. Making limb covers lets me admire them all year.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I just use spray paint, camo then clear.
Have done several, the spots that showed wear were on sides-from stringing/unstringing...so I just paint the front of the limbs only now.

·
Is it October yet ???
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that looks great Hookeye !!! I'll have to paint both sides of mine due to the white high gloss finish. Guess I'll see what Mccoys has tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Take a look at this thread started by Dave Holquist, he had good luck with an inexpensive product:

http://tradtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42611
Rick, while that stuff works okay for a temporary finish that lasts one season, I'd recommend something else if long-term durability is desired. I have one set of limbs that were done with Duracoat and have held up great. Another set I did myself with spray-on bedliner type of paint. Also very tough and low gloss but it's a textured finish, not smooth like Duracoat. Works for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts