Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey tradtalk, just some quick questions about arrow weight and FOC in hunting. Out of my 45# samick sage recurve, i shoot 30 inch beman centershots, with an 85 grain tip. It only weights about 360 grains. Is that too light to hunt with? And the foc with 85 grain is about 11%, with 100 gr 12%. Is that ok to hunt with?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
For deer, absolutely. For bison, probably not. Don't get wrapped up about FOC. A well tuned hunting arrow will almost always be within the normal range. Past that it's much ado over nothing.

·
The Mad Scientist
1,492 Posts
Don't get wrapped up about FOC. A well tuned hunting arrow will almost always be within the normal range. Past that it's much ado over nothing.
I disagree, and so do many others concerning FOC and hunting. Look up the Dr. Ashby articles on EFOC. You can't have too much FOC, period. But it all depends on the final arrow weight you want to end up with. If you can maintain the spine with more tip weight then do it, but you may have to shorten your arrows. 150 grn tip weight is good, I shoot 200 grn (100 grn insert + 100 b-head), and end up at 10 gpp (you are at 8 gpp).

That is a light arrow for hunting. Compound guys get away with it on deer because they shoot it at much higher speeds. In an ideal world any setup works, but rarely is a shot at a living animal ideal. Ribs and shoulder blades play havoc with light arrows, I've seen that way too many times.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Geeesss I agree with J. Last year I shot a doe with my IBO arrows 400 grs and a 48# selfbow and a 125gr 3 blade Snuffer at 15 yds It went through the deer and stuck in the ground at the same angle I shot it. Next you will have to shoot it out of a 23 hex Border. LOL Cal PS if I were going after Elk or Moose I mite think more about my arrows but for deer or Black bear I don't think so.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I disagree, and so do many others concerning FOC and hunting. Look up the Dr. Ashby articles on EFOC.
--Edit--

On second thought, my initial response may have been a bit harsh. Suffice it to say I've read his work and found that he takes a lot of liberties connecting his anecdotal findings to his stated conclusions. He used to post on a few various internet message boards until people started to question him and noticed some of his "facts" didn't seem to add up. So no, I don't put much, if any, stock in what he says.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts