Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A discussion with Erich made me think of this. If there is any interest I can look to make it a sticky in the classified section. If not I'll let the thread fade into the archives.

While I have been lucky and have yet to have a limb go 'BOOM' on me (knocks on wood) I know several here have. Heck DWS has had so many pop that I don't think I ever want to shoot next to him. :)

Anyway if you have an orphan limb who's pair twisted, split or de-laminated and you would like to sell it to someone or maybe see if someone has a matched limb you can buy post up.

Also lets not turn it into a bowyer or manufacturer bash. Just post whatcha got or need.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
This may be a mistake Scott.

We are getting a lot of orphans. LOL

Erich

·
Registered
474 Posts
Steve,
I needed pairs of limbs (you know....sky conquest carbons) not a single limb.

Also you guys that hunt need to really think this through. If the weight and length are good you should buy another set of limbs the same and then you carry the spare limb while hunting. The guy I hunted with this year did just this.

He had a spare limb in his day pack.

He felt that if he blew up a limb it wouldn't be both limbs and he could retiller in the field to match his spare.

We were bivying out each night and didn't get back to the base camp where our spares were for, potentially, days at a time. So his theory was, no weapon no hunting. Better to carry the extra weight of a limb than risk being 4 to 6 miles out and have to come back because of equipment failure.

We both had complete spares at the base came with extra limbs to boot.

Surprisingly you don't have to have exact matches to enable a riser to tiller correctly. He was using Sky Conquest Carbons (early) and Mathews (Sky) as a spare. I have no idea how the bow shot but then again, no weapon no hunt.

Lane

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Dave, just how badly twisted are those limbs? I've been known to be able to fix those things on several black widows, bears, and other recurves

·
Registered
474 Posts
Graysquirrel I have three or four sets of limbs that are twisted. Three of them I bought used and they came that way. Only one set of limbs were my fault. I may be PM'ing you later this winter as the limbs are all higher end ones.

Hoyt M1's, Sky Conquest and some Hoyt 550's.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
GraySquirrel, they were twisted enough that the bow would throw the string on the shot. They didn't look that the twisted but they wouldn't keep a string on.
Sent them back to the manufacture and they verified they were twisted and couldn't be fixed.

dave

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Give you a little secret to try that I learned from the guys at black widow. You need LOW heat to make the limbs flexible. I've never tried it on all carbon limbs, but on limbs that have wood in them you can reconstruct the memory of the wood with low heat.

If you have a deep sink (as in kitchen) run it full of hot water. The water needs to be as hot as you can stand to hold your hand in. No more. 95 percent of twisted limbs are twisted in the curve part by the nock end. With the limbs bolted down on a riser as far as they will go, dip the twisted limb into the water, hold it there for about 20 seconds. Then take it out and quickly twist it in the opposite direction of the limb twist with your hand as far as you can twist it and hold it for as long as you can.

After that is done, string it and see if it corrected itself any. Sometimes you will over correct it and have to twist it back. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 times to get it done. I've taken over an hour one time to fix a black widow that would not hold a string on it was twisted so bad. That was 6 years ago and the guy is still shooting that widow.

Try it, you don't have anything to lose and a set of limbs to gain.

Dkard, if you want send them to me and I'll see what I can do, I'll either fix them, or blow them up to the point they are truly unreparable. I've done that before also when the limb had a crack in it along with the twisted limb. Like I said, don't know about all carbon limbs, havent tried them, but I've managed to fix several that threw the string when shot.

Reactions: Sam Dunham

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Give you a little secret to try that I learned from the guys at black widow. You need LOW heat to make the limbs flexible. I've never tried it on all carbon limbs, but on limbs that have wood in them you can reconstruct the memory of the wood with low heat.

If you have a deep sink (as in kitchen) run it full of hot water. The water needs to be as hot as you can stand to hold your hand in. No more. 95 percent of twisted limbs are twisted in the curve part by the nock end. With the limbs bolted down on a riser as far as they will go, dip the twisted limb into the water, hold it there for about 20 seconds. Then take it out and quickly twist it in the opposite direction of the limb twist with your hand as far as you can twist it and hold it for as long as you can.

After that is done, string it and see if it corrected itself any. Sometimes you will over correct it and have to twist it back. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 times to get it done. I've taken over an hour one time to fix a black widow that would not hold a string on it was twisted so bad. That was 6 years ago and the guy is still shooting that widow.

Try it, you don't have anything to lose and a set of limbs to gain.

Dkard, if you want send them to me and I'll see what I can do, I'll either fix them, or blow them up to the point they are truly unreparable. I've done that before also when the limb had a crack in it along with the twisted limb. Like I said, don't know about all carbon limbs, havent tried them, but I've managed to fix several that threw the string when shot.
we have done this with a few bows without heat.
but i cant hand twist our current laminate.
If the carbon is used to torsionally stiffen limbs then your going to have a hard job, if the carbon is UD carbon, in the same way glass is used then i can see it working

I have a pair of 68, 38lbs here that have been heavily hand twisted by myself and any archer who thinks they are tough enough, and they still hold true.

When carbon is used to stabilise the limb, then its elasiticity/strenght wil over power the core's ability to take a set

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
GS, the limbs were a set of Border BD limbs 53# HEx V-H's. I got the limbs and then finally got my riser and when I shot the limbs they threw the string.
Sent them to Sid to have a look and he told me they were twisted. They don't untwist like a standard limb.

dave

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I kinda figured that about carbon. Never have tried those. But with wood cores I've done a bunch with Black Widow, bear, and others.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I bought a new set of KAP carbons and they were twisted slightly at the tips. Just barely so I didn't bother sending them back. A year later I bought a lighter set of Samick Univeral carbons and put them on the same riser ( hoyt Matrix ) They were also twisted in the same place on the top limb slightly worse. Turned out the limb adjustment was way off on the riser.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts