Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my risers from David S. I also ordered some odds and ends which included some of his "silencing kits". The kits included a carter key, two bow jacks with two of the "arms" cut off and two 2 1/2 " long sections of rubber tube. The tube was to be used to thread onto each end of the string and lay in the string groove. It worked very well and the setup was very quiet. For several years now I have been looking for more of the "tube" to put on other bowstrings, with no luck.

Then I saw some at a pro shop. It was the tubing that compound shooters use on peep sights to be sure they align. Eureka! The shop had rolls of the stuff in two diameters and I got some of both. Only the large size worked as the wall thickness was much greater and it stretched over the string correctly.

This stuff helped my bows a lot.

I hope the photos post as I have been fighting with my computer for a couple days over getting images to post to this sight and, let me tell you, I would rather eat bugs than fight with a computer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
It looks to me you use the cotter pin to attach the tubing and bow jacks to string? I have seen the bow jacks before on compound bows and wondered if they would work on my recurves. Being a retired guy I like to try new to me ideas.
Do you think that setup would last in 100+ temps?
Thank you, Tom M

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tim,
It last a long time. One of my DAS risers is four years old and it still has the original tubing on the string. It isnt the only bow I shoot but it has been shot "a lot".
Tom,
You will never get the tubing over your string loops without the cotter pin. As to100+ temps... I live in east Texas and the summer here some years is about like the surface of the sun or at least it feels that way. High temps dont seem to have any effect on the tubing.

·
Premium Member
12,794 Posts
excellent, great (simple) help there, a great point to remember for stuff like this!!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Little note: If the tube won't slide on the string try putting a drop or two of vegetable oil in the tube opening to lubricate it so it will slide.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: I went back to the pro shop and looked at the spool that my tubing came off of and got the following information. My tubing is silicone, not rubber. It came from a place called Pine Ridge Archery and their product number is #2523.
I went to their web site and they sell it in 50ft rolls or 1ft lengths. I hope this helps.
Thumper-tx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.