Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are both JUST starting in archery. We have done a couple group lessons and really like it. I have been exploring some different things as some of you may have seen in my posts. I have really been wondering what to do, and I am unsure if I should just get something going as cheap as possible, or spend some money right away. Neither my wife nor myself have a bow yet, but want to get started but not have some pile that will just discourage us (especially her!).

So I really have been thinking of a Sage (or something close on eBay), put Sage limbs on a Martin Pantera (thx quiverman!), buy a Martin Jaguar or Saber, or watch for a used ILF and limbs.

I do like the way the Pantera feels in my hand, but I do not have that much experience so may not know what I am missing elsewhere. And I need two bows out of all of the above. A Jaguar/Saber would be for me, too heavy for my wife; it would be nice if both bows were the same system but not a requirement.

Is ILF really better than using something like a Samick Sage/Journey or Martin Jaguar/Saber? I am going to say our goal right now is recreational, maybe competition at some point in the future. I could not say what kind of competition at this point.

Also a couple people have been very generous within these forums, so if I end up doing something different than with the pieces they have sent me I will return them or send them on to someone else.

I know I have to decide myself, but your opinions will help me. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
I really depends on whether or not you have the money to spend or not sure about your venture into archery and just want to see if you like it and are trying to be cheap because your not sure.

If your sure about it you should get a decent set up from the start and dedicate yourself to the task.

The equipment should be dictated by how you are gonna participate in archery.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
My recommendation would be to avoid the Martin recurves, just not good bows.

The Sage or Polaris is a decent way to start. Or some sort of WARF which seems to be what you've currently got.

-Grant

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"First decide what type of archery you want to do then look at bows to fit that."

does this mean decide target, 3d, etc? or what amount of devotion? I am no sure I can decide the former yet as I am so new.

how about the PSE Razorbacks vs. Samick Sage? or are ILF limbs that much better? I am guessing they have just as much variability in overall quality, but maybe easier to step up later and keep the same riser?

thx for the replies so far guys! please keep them coming, I really did not expect 3 already!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
If you can afford ILF, then go ILF. The limbs really are better than the bolt-ons of similar cost.
Oddly enough upgrading the riser is probably more of a performance boost then new limbs in an ILF set-up. But the used market is a great place to look, both here and in the FITA section of Archery Talk.

-Grant

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My recommendation would be to avoid the Martin recurves, just not good bows.

The Sage or Polaris is a decent way to start. Or some sort of WARF which seems to be what you've currently got.

-Grant
I second that.
I used to love Martin bows, and still do as far as the older ones are concerned.
Not so much the newer ones.
I used to quite dislike Samick, but today their a very different bow from when I first encountered them.
I've shot the Samick Deermaster and the Sage, both very good bows for the money.
The Samick journey sounds much the same but better for the longer draw.

John.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,700 Posts
There are some good archers down in the San Diego area. Have you hooked up with a club? Most of the folks that I have shot with from that area are FITA (i.e. Olympic style), but they really know their gear, especially ILF, which was originally developed for FITA.

·
j-san = Jason
1,684 Posts
Lots of great info from very knowledgable folk. If I may add my 2 cents worth, I think it would be also important to consider if you wish to be a competitive archer or not. That can and will influence your bow selection to a greater extent than just recreational shooting. Shooting informally at spots, 3D, informal leagues, etc. does not require you to have a bow that is within a certain specification. The Sage would be great for recreational shooting and you would likely not be limited by its performance anytime soon.

ILF is an excellent platform that allows you to grow into and configure to your heart's desire. As others have said, you could find a used riser and limbs for a fraction of the cost of new. If I were in your shoes, if I knew this was something I know I would continue for years, then I would go ILF.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thx all! more replies welcome though.

I think for my wife, since she says she really just wants to do recreational, is to use the Sage limbs I bought from mikey445 on a Samick Polaris riser I found locally.

For myself, I am thinking about this riser:

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/core-archery-spark-25-recurve-riser.html

and these limbs:

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/w-w-sebastian-flute-premium-wood-recurve-limbs.html

not sure on that riser though. more thoughts and opinions welcome. should I wait on some other riser? is that one good enough?

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
That riser is a fair choice for an introduction.

I would go with the $80 set of SF Axiom+ limbs though. I've had both and the Premiums just aren't worth more money.

-Grant

Reactions: hlfritz

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thx Grant. That just might be what I do, checking out a couple of other things and will then decide. I will do ILF stuff for sure now that I have looked at things.

Anyone see any issue with the thoughts for my wife's bow? I am thinking with her occasional use the Sage limbs should be great. I will refinish the riser to a darker color to suit her preferences, and it will take all the accessories she will likely need for the foreseeable future.

Hank,
We did a group lesson with someone via Archery House and did some really light shooting at Bow and Arrow shop in Lakeside. The owner (Bruce - REALLY nice guy for sure) of Bow and Arrow shop is also the person that recommended we do NOT bolt the Sage limbs onto the Pantera riser nor the Fleetwood Monarch/Sage Polaris riser - although the Sage limbs I have from mike445 fit really well in the Monarch/Polaris riser (even the Pantera actually). So I still have to decide if I trust the make recommendation for us or to sell something. Obviously they need to sell stuff to keep the shop open and that is why they are there - but they are really more about hunting/compound - at least that is my perception based upon clientele and what is hanging on the walls. But, he did recommend an Olympic trainer and lessons to us before we decide upon equipment (I was just not that impressed with the trainer over the phone - he might be very different in person).

anyway if anyone else has more opinions I am looking for all the information and help I can get so I at least try and do things right the first time.

Thx much!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I would second Grants selection of the SF Axiom limbs. For the money pretty hard to beat for starting out.
For a riser also check out the SF Premium for 199. I comes with a rest and plunger as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts