Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a relative noob here , but been a trad bowhunter/3D shooter forever. Nomad from another site that keeps wanting to charge for everything. I've enjoyed the discussions of the more technical side of archery here. I'm not a "technoweenie", but trying to learn a bit more about the many nuances of tuning as I may be getting into ILF side of things due to my bowyer deciding to produce less offerings. I am a 3-under (glove) shooter, made the transition probably 7-8 years ago and after raising nock point I like many I suppose, resolved myself that this release was going to be slightly noisier/more vibration than the split that I started with. I bareshaft infrequently, but often enough to ensure the status quo. Much to my horror, the last sanity check indicated things had gone down the crapper! I've had a bad habit of doing inconsistent things with my thumb and little fingers. Some bows I've owned tolerated this well, but my release hand had devolved to me tucking my thumb over my little finger, both curled in aginst the palm. This should have been an obvious tension inducing taboo, but like I mentioned, I shot bows that tolerated it. In one of those aha, moments I went back to my original release hand form, string hand relaxed, open and held flat against my face with thumb up. I've always anchored middle finger to incisor, nose to back of cock fletch, those were constant throughout. I was stunned at how much bare shaft flight improved with noise/vibration reduced. The only thing I can figure is that curling my string hand caused me to anchor and release the string slightly outside the centerline of the limbs (optimal string travel path). I'm guessing when the string returned to brace this was inducing some lateral instability in the limbs. Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Welcome olddogrib, it sure sounds like you're on the road to recovery. If you don't mind a fellow tarheeler asking, what part of the state do you hail from?

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
old, First, welcome to TT. It is very different than other archery sites… far superior! For the most part we act like gentlemen and expect others to do the same..

Regarding your shooting, consider looking into a search on "shooting the bale", "The Bridge". I think you'll find a lot of interesting reading and then feel free to ask a bunch of questions. I'm sure it will serve you well. All the best!

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts