Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally released the string on a set of Border Hex5H ILF limbs off the blanket. So I want to get all my ducks in a row as far as setting them up. Just looking for a little confirmation based on all the reading and lurking I've been doing. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Info on me and set up. 26" draw length. 40# limbs on a 17" riser making it approximately 48# bow. Will likely be around 46# at my draw length. Arrows planned are Easton gamegetter 2016 with 160-165gr out front (tip and insert). Shooting style fixed crawl.

2. String choice. Based on my research I'm going to pick up a spool of D97 and make a Flemish twist string.

3. Add ons will be limb savers, string puffs, felt at belly of the recurves, and selway black rubber quiver.

Am I missing anything?

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,654 Posts
When I was using HEX5 I used strings that were 1/2 inch longer than AMO specs. This was on a standard 25 inch ILF riser. I am not sure how the shorter risers affect this. At that time Border was still trying to stay in line with AMO specs. That was abandoned with the HEX6 which required a much longer string. AMO specs were acting as a performance constraint. Border has a document on their website with string length recommendations. I really like HEX5 limbs. I shot personal bests at 90 and 50 meters with HEX5.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
What length are the limbs?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're marked 66"/25" so I'm assuming they are shorts which puts them at 58" on a 17" riser.

The only thing I am weary about at the moment, considering they're shorts, is tuning for string walking. If it proves to be too difficult to tune for a fixed crawl I will just shoot it three under. And maybe face walk to compensate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts