Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
markliep
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be curious if it's a 50/50 for one or two eyes open for most archers - I shot one eye open from the start & the 7arrows posted a couple of weeks ago & I notieced that two eyes open is better - guess I never thought enough about aiming as there's so much emphasis on everything else.

One eye open top pic - two eyes open bottom - the 10th arrow went where it was meant to & on shot reconstruction I remembered (reremembered) I need to shoot with two eyes open - M.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Some can shoot with two eyes open, others not. I'd offer that it is often the case that a change in one's shot (system) seemingly improves the results, but then often then reverts back to one's old performance.

Give the two eyes open an honest effort of a month or two, and in doing so, honest evaluation (as you seemingly have in the photos above)… then, you can be assured and confident you know what is best for you. All the best!

Tom

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Now imagine if you shot cross eye dominate and had to close one eye, you wouldnt be very happy knowing what you know now would ya?

ps. arrows that are all fletched the same, tend to group better for me.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I'm a two open shooter. For me it doesn't matter if it's bows or guns, holding one eye closed quickly leads to fatigue. For any kind or random or unpredictable shooting I think I'd feel lost without the depth perception you get with both eyes open. I should add that I am fortunate to be solidly right eye dominant and shoot right handed.

That said, the cleanest sight picture I've ever had was back in my small-bore shooting days when I used a blinder for my left eye, either in the form of a shade on the rear sight or blacked out left lens in my shooting glasses. I didn't have to fight to hold my left eye closed but still had the clear image of only using my right eye. It worked great for the precise and repeatable nature of position shooting.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I shoot one eye open. I gap at the bow and "I" can get a better sight picture with one eye open. Throughout the summer I plan on trying to get to shooting with two eyes open. One eye feels more comfortable to me probably because I shot compounds that way for 20 years. To each his own, but I do agree that two eyes open has it's benefits.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Many top FITA/Oly coaches recommend both eyes open because of the fatigue and stress when you force one eye shut. Just like EK mentioned. However you do get to use a sight. I'm sure that helps a lot to clarify exactly what the heck you're looking at with both eyes open.

I myself pretty much have to shoot one eye closed. Both open and my left/right goes to hell.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was shooting with one eye closed, I started shooting with two open about a month ago. I found that I can focus on the entire sight window better. I have a little double vision, but I have trained myself to focus on the left arrow. It helps with my gap as well.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Easykeper,

Interesting what you say about guns..

I have a Schützen muzzle loader, with a wafer on the stock, such that the wafer blocks the left eye from seeing the sights.

It is designed to shoot 2 eyes open, both seeing the target but only the right seeing the sights,

Designed in 1853..

The value of shooting 2 eyes open has been recognized for quite a while. LOL

·
j-san = Jason
1,684 Posts
Unless I have a patch over my left eye, I shoot with binocular vision. Squinting has always caused me problems and I learned to just shoot when it feels right and not try to rely so heavily on visual-only cues (aside from aiming).

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Now imagine if you shot cross eye dominate and had to close one eye, you wouldnt be very happy knowing what you know now would ya?

ps. arrows that are all fletched the same, tend to group better for me.
kenn, ya don't have to close one eye shooting cross dominant…been doin it for 60yrs!, Ya just squint the dominant eye a little and force dominance over. It works! :)

Tom

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
James, Another way to force the dominance is to (as long as you don't mind a pair of glasses) put a small patch of opaque scotch tape over the center of the dominant eye. That's been done by clay bird shooters and pistol shooters for decades!

Tom

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
kenn, ya don't have to close one eye shooting cross dominant…been doin it for 60yrs!, Ya just squint the dominant eye a little and force dominance over. It works! :)

Tom
Nobody said it cant be done Tom, I was kicking butt in my local league not even squinting or closing an eye(shooting cross eye dom). Im even better now that I have switched to shooting my dominate eye. Who knows, had you switched instead of squinting, we might be talking about people attending a clinic by you instead of Rod Jenkins.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Nobody said it cant be done Tom, I was kicking butt in my local league not even squinting or closing an eye(shooting cross eye dom). Im even better now that I have switched to shooting my dominate eye. Who knows, had you switched instead of squinting, we might be talking about people attending a clinic by you instead of Rod Jenkins.
Kenn1320 I think it was MBB3 that Rod presented with Larry Yien? Larry seemed to do okay with his little squint ... IFAA World longbow champion on a couple of occasions. Shot and bested longbow archers from across the global, shooting out past 60 yards. Being cross eye dominant can present difficulties ... switching hands is an answer that can work well for some and not for others. One shoe doesn't fit all ... only saying. :)

Regards, James.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I shoot right and am left eye dominant. Have done it since I was a little kid. I used to close my left eye but learned to squint my left until my right took over. As soon as it did, I could relax and shoot very well. I do the same thing now with everything. Shooting clays, birds, scoped rifle, compound and trad bow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
years ago during wwI and wwII many were trained to shoot right handed with left eye closed for the sake of uniformaty and ease of training thousands of new recruits. dad learned that way and toute us kids the same....if your domanent hand and eye are the same? shoot both eyes open, why handicap yourself...ron

1 - 20 of 25 Posts