Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bow, of course, is my 27" Inno Max with extra short Border Hex 6 BB2 limbs. 55# at my 28" DL, strung to a 7.25 brace the bow is only 62" tip to tip.
I have gone round and round and keep coming back to being a one bow guy. Naked and ready to go hiking the bow only weighs 3.8 lbs. I add 24 oz to the bottom stabilizer hole for Target and 3D bringing the weight up to 5.3 lbs.

The Arrow: For over a year now I have been shooting the AMC Airforce GT 20 smart shaft by Allied Archery. The GT 20 is a fully tapered carbon shaft that is amazingly forgiving.

For 3D the arrow is configured with a pin nock insert and McKinney pin nock, S3 EliVanes, and a 125 grain Top Hat field point. Weight is 415 grains, FOC 15.7%, speed at my 20 yard crawl is 213 fps (7.54 gpp)

For hunting the arrow is configured with the same pin insert and McKinney pin nocks, I add another set of EliVanes (3 extra grains) and swap the 125 grain field point for a 315 grain Ashby Broadhead (or 315 grain field point). Weight is 605 grains, FOC is 27.7%, speed at my 20 yard crawl is 180 fps (11gpp).

I have not found a need to make tuning changes despite the 190 grain difference in point weight. I like the extra stability of the double EliVane setup which seems to me lighter and faster and more durable than feathers as well as being waterproof. Replacing a vane in the field takes less than 5 minutes start to finish and does not require a jig.

Food for thought for the gear heads among us.

Rasyad

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
EliVanes single and Double....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One arrow...3D and Hunting

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
605 gr at 180 fps should sure be adequate for anything in North America.

At my 28" draw I shot 48# Hoyt carbon plus short for a number of years in the 80s and 90s. At the time I was shooting a 2018 cut to tune a 160 gr two blade. I shot from a 20 yard crawl. I really like the urgent feel at the back of the draw.

I think you have got a hunting rig "plus ultra".

Edit- on a 25" riser

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zulu,

Combined the length of the double set of EliVanes is 4.25". Speed is reduced by 2-3 fps, directly proportional to the increased stability and forgiveness. I was getting okay BH flight with the single set of EliVanes but with the double set flight is perfect. I really like the ability to fletch and repair the EliVanes in the field. The repair kit fits in a little 3x4 inch plastic bag in a pocket of my quiver.

Rasyad

Reactions: Zulu

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Rasyad, have you tried double fletching with target string-walking. I'm wondering if it would help you get arrows shooting down the line at all crawls.

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
Very cool that you can use such a vastly heavier broadhead on the same arrow with just extra fletching on the rear. I would imagine the few extra grains of fletch mass on the nock end would stiffen the shaft a small amount, but might the tapered shaft have much to do with why you can use such a heavy broadhead and light field point?

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jason / Aiden,

Being able to shoot such a wide range of point weights has mostly to do the the GT 20 smart shafts. With regard to dynamic spine, I don't think 3 extra grains on the knock offsets the 190 on the point. I believe the benefit of the extra EliVanes is the extra spin and stabilization for the BH.

I am sure the double EliVanes will work for the 125 grain points. It is simply a trade off speed for stability. I will do some group testing and see which shoots better. It should be interesting.

Rasyad

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
These Smart Shafts sound like some really nice arrows! I'd love to be able to shoot big broadaxe-heads out of my bow.

I can't really tell from your photos, but are you basically running a pair of 2-fletch Elivanes on your double fletched arrows? Looks like they are orientated in line with each other?

I've never considered using mylar vanes for hunting as I've had durability issues with them. Perhaps it's time to have a 2nd look at them. Thanks, Rasyad.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jason,

6 vanes altogether. The usual 3 fletch, no offset, then 3 more inline with the first.

Rasyad

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Doug,

Arrow Dynamics makes the GT 20 smart shaft for Allied Archery in very limited quantities to Allied's specifications. I looked at the AD offerings and went with the GT 20 because the nock end had a smaller OD and ID. There was also a difference in the taper but I can't recall off the top of my head.

Rasyad

Reactions: biglegmax

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi Rasyad,
I have heard guys rave about the tapered AD's, being able to shoot the same shaft spine from 20-60 lb bows. I tried a dozen, when I spine tested them the tester looked like a jumping bean on meth, I don't feel comfortable spinning an arrow and finding 20 lbs variation. Sounds like the GT20 is a higher tollerance shaft. What is the length?
Thanks, Doug

·
ryan brodrick
2,136 Posts
Rasyad,
What is the outside diameter on the point end of those shafts? I was thinking they are big, like 22/64"?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.