Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I titled this thread correctly so please be gentle with me if its not correct as I'm delving into new ground for me...

If you were going to start 'playing' with an Olympic style recurve bow for shooting 3D, field and indoor(with zero previous experience with this style of bow) - prolly trying different sighting methods to see which you liked best, but more than likely would end up using sights or stringwalking,
what riser and limb combinations would you recommend? Other criteria is to keep the price down as much as possible but not to the point of only being a beginner type bow....

I'm considering trying this style of bow and need help....

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Sebastian flute 25" riser and limbs. I have the forged plus and its a nice riser for the money. I recently picked up some SF Ultimate Pro limbs and they are great for the price. There are better risers/limbs, but in my opinion nothing is better in their price range.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,759 Posts
Best value and good quality, it is hard to beat Sebastian Flute. That is the premise behind the creation of the SF line.

There are other, lower cost, Olympic style bows. Limbs are easy. You can get an $80 or $90 set of SF Axioms, or Samick Privilege limbs. Riser is where you can go a lot of different directions. SF is great if it is in your price range. Some folks like the Cartel Fantom. I have seen a lot of those. I have not seen the Core. The Axiom Riser is the old KAP TREX (just as the Axiom limbs are the old KAP TREX limbs). It is 23 inches. Depending on your draw length, you might be better off with the 25 inch Fantom. Another option is the Hoyt Excel. It is low cost relative to Oly risers, but higher than the low end stuff, such as the Fantom and the Core.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
A nice used ILF rig can be a great way to go too...you can buy ALOT of bow used for $400.00

Dewayne

·
markliep
687 Posts
Check out the FITA classifieds on archerytalk - it comes down to preferences but chances are you can't go too far wrong with either a Fantom or a Spark for a riser - probably better value than the Excel (but my preference is for a heavier riser anyway) - remember you also might want sights - x-spot decut or Avalon tech one are well rated cheaper recurve oly sights - good luck - M

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
There was a thread on the Core riser on Archery Talk. You might want to read up on it there because at the time I read it the jury was still out on whether or not it was worth the money, even at that price. This may be one of those "You get what you pay for" situations.

Keep your eyes on the Trading Blanket and on the FITA classifieds for a great deal. You can always ask people here if it is a good deal.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nothing wrong with a Hoyt Excel riser. Good riser for the money and not that long. You can get it in 21 and 23" lenght. So if you want a bow for 3D and field, its a bit more maneuverable in the woods.
tj

·
( Rob )
429 Posts
There was a thread on the Core riser on Archery Talk. You might want to read up on it there because at the time I read it the jury was still out on whether or not it was worth the money, even at that price. This may be one of those "You get what you pay for" situations.
My first riser like this was a Samick Vision. The Core looks to be a carbon copy of it.. This limbs would not stay in alignment. The limb dovetails go past the indents on the riser. So they just move around.

·
( Rob )
429 Posts
Anyway Wally,
I bought a Hoyt Nexus used online for 280.00. You just have to play
the waiting game to get a decent deal. Recently, everyone is trying
to get 90 percent of what they paid for their gear when selling online.
It's getting like ebay and a bear grizzly...hehe

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
If you dont mind the unorthodox look of the Sprigarelly Revolution riser they are selling NEW for $267 US
at Alternative services.

·
Super Moderator
2,865 Posts
Welcome to our merry band. An Olympic style bow, especially a fairly modern one with the ILF (International Limb Fitting) system, (I shoot older non ILF ones) is a very good choice. The best way to get started in simple terms is to get a pretty good riser, on the used market if you can, and cheap limbs. You will likely go through several sets of limbs of various specs.

You don't need sights; it is more fun without them. And you don't need to string walk either. You can just point and shoot to start, and later learn gap aiming for the longer distances. That is what most archers do and that is the way most regular sport shooters do it.

Kindly keep us informed of about your journey. - lbg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.