Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been an Olympic junkie. I was exposed to the Olympics at a early age. The Olympics, along with Wide World of Sports, led to my love of competition and small sports (like archery, for instance). The Winter Olympics are a real favorite. Now I am balancing archery practice, workouts, and Olympic viewing, each evening. It is a lot to get in each night, but I have the dedication and commitment to succeed. Fortunately, the cardio equipment at the gym are equipped with televisions.

P.S. I was one of only 100,000 folks that ordered the Olympic Triple Cast for the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. At the time it was revolutionary, with 3 cable stations covering various events, including all the stuff you do not normally see, like warm ups, loser bracket races, athletes moving from one apparatus to another. It was like you were there.

I was also at USC in graduate school during the LA Olympics in 1984. The Olympic village was on campus. I was across the street from the Coliseum where track and field was held. I went to the last session of track and field and had front row seat near the finish line. I was right behind Donna De Varona doing interviews of the winning athletes. I saw Carl Lewis, Sebastian Coe and Daley Thompson interviewed. It was a great experience.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
I used to love it when it was amature athletes. You could see the up and coming stars....now it's all corporate and pros.....hockey....basketball...tennis....sucks for me.

glad your getting some mileage and fun out of it though.

I haven't been hooked up to cable for 28 years now.....rabbitt ears for about 5 and just could find anything worth watching on CBC NORTH ;)

Cheers jer

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The major team sports have lost their charm with the pros. I went to the first US, Spain basketball game in the LA Olympics, before they met for the gold. That was the team with Michael Jordon as a college student at North Carolina. Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullen were also on that team.

Not all athletes are pros, or pros in the sense of basketball and hockey. As you know from archery, there is not a lot of support. Many folks in minor sports have to balance jobs and competition.

Kim Rhodes is a local American skeet shooter who has won five gold medals in five games. She shoots 500 to 1000 rounds a day. I read an article that said her practice costs her $500/day.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
"" her practice costs her $500/day. ""

At that rate, it's hard to call anyone 'amateur'.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts