1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an old Damon Howatt Hunter
66"
Written on the side:DH 58799
Stamped in the wood is the number 60. I'd guess it the draw weight. That's gotta be wrong though, I just don't remember having that much trouble pulling back a 60lb bow when I was 19. Of course that was 45 years ago. ;0)

It's old but looks great. Sounds like me lolololololo.

I had a local bow shop set a new string on it but not sure if it's correct. Brace height is 7", sounds about right but haven't used a recurve since I was a teenager. The string is 62" long.

Can anybody tell me about the bow?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Coupla things jump out here. First, I'm 60 as well and unless you're a regular heavy bow shooter be careful trying to jump on that kind of weight, that's a stress/shoulder problem/muscle strain waiting to happen. If you're returning to recurves and not use to recurves of that weight most will suggest something about half that to get back in the saddle and learn or re-learn good form...

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You'll get no argument from me on that buddy and BTW, welcome to the forum! I'm 6'1' 200#, have a pretty physical job, and felt like I was in decent shape....a 50# Bear Grizzly showed me otherwise a couple of years ago! I've worked back up but still, 45# suits me really well on a day-to-day basis and 50# is reserved for hunting.....

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I also have a Howatt Hunter, made in 1986.

Howatt bows were famous (infamous? LOL) for being over the weight marked on the bow.

Mine measures out at 70 pounds @30 inches, while being marked as 60# @ 28 inches.

Take it slow and I hope you work your way up to handling it.

You didn't say what your draw length is.

Im 71 and can hold it at full draw (70 ponds) for 10 seconds, so there is hope for you. LOL

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've owned four Martin recurves and they were all good bows, but as Webster points out, they all made the poundage they were rated at, plus a bit for luck.

Congratulations on finding a nice bow and welcome to the site.

John.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Can you post a picture? I'm pretty sure Larry could tell you everything about it. 7" BH sounds a bit low to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts